Technology and Magic

With new developments in technology and science, the world is entering a new age. What does this mean for magic? How does technology affect magic and/or benefit it? What are some of the downsides to technology and its influence on magic? What ARE these influences?

Discuss...

Mitch

D

Deleted member 2755

With new developments in technology and science, the world is entering a new age. What does this mean for magic? How does technology affect magic and/or benefit it? What are some of the downsides to technology and its influence on magic? What ARE these influences?

Discuss...

Mitch

Well in my opinion anything that would have changed magic was already changed. Many years ago, the majority of people in this world believed in wizardry, witchcraft, magic, etc. However, now with science, technology, and areas of science such as evolution, these beliefs are almost completely gone with the exception of the belief in a god. (Please don't comment on that, I don't want this to turn into a religious debate thread now.)

Now if we perform an effect, especially something that does not involve a classy looking sleight of hand effect such as Factory Sealed, or most effects with thread... we all of a sudden come back to this state. "How does he move that pen without touching it?" "How did that nickel go into that bottle? It was factory sealed!" Magic all of a sudden comes back into play. In some cases, a spectator may actually believe you have supernatural powers. You take them out of this "Everything has a logical explanation." state and put them temporarily in a "Wow. Perhaps certain things are possible in this world." state. However, similar to the state of astonishment that Paul Harris talks about, we quickly go back into the "Everything has a logical explanation." state.

I believe the upcoming future will have the same reactions that magic has now because we have left the witchcraft era. We are now in the science and technology era so magic is only more amazing for people now than it was over a hundred years ago.

-Doug

-edit-
Just changed something above so it might make a bit more sense, some people might take it differently with my sleight of hand statement.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
I think that as technology progresses, magic will do the same. That's the way it has always worked when you think about it. The methods used by magicians hundreds of years ago may have shared the same basic principles as modern effects, but have gone through so many changes. Like Sinful mentioned, even the way a spectator percieves and reacts to magic has changed! Technology can also create unique opporitunities for new methods in magic. For example, if in the future, ultra-thin television and computer screens were invented -- they could be disguised as playing cards, and many new effects would be possible. On the downside, this may cause people to become more aware of technological methods already used by magicians.

D

Deleted member 2755

I think that as technology progresses, magic will do the same. That's the way it has always worked when you think about it. The methods used by magicians hundreds of years ago may have shared the same basic principles as modern effects, but have gone through so many changes. Like Sinful mentioned, even the way a spectator percieves and reacts to magic has changed! Technology can also create unique opporitunities for new methods in magic. For example, if in the future, ultra-thin television and computer screens were invented -- they could be disguised as playing cards, and many new effects would be possible. On the downside, this may cause people to become more aware of technological methods already used by magicians.

Cards as really thin LCD monitors would kill us.:p However.... flourishers would have the greatest time ever.

-Doug

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Just look at all of the cellphone effects on the market. There are many different tricks involving cellphones now, you can make the image of ghosts appear on a phone, you can use the phone as a part of your routine, you can even cause a coin or card pip to appear on/in the screen!
I think that technology will always play an important part of magic.

J

Jake Samways

There's a new effect involving and iPod called "iKnow" by Jason Palter... Seems very interesting...
Yeah iKnow seems to be getting some pretty rave reviews, check it.

"Jason has created a wonderful mystery involving our love of music and our fascination with all things iPod...A devious effect involving technology that feels totally organic."
- Andrew Mayne

"A fresh, hip mind reading miracle. If you own an MP3 player then you have to own iKnow !"
- Richard Sanders

"I think this is great! You have to HEAR it to believe it!"
- Daniel Garcia

"iKnow is without a question the best thing you can do with your iPod…It's as if iPods were made just for iKnow."
- Justin Miller

From Murphys Magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results