Ten Theories?

Feb 8, 2008
I didn't want to distract the other post up right now about technology, so I'll put this up as a new thread.

I'll quote Lee Asher:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDENredden
1. Production
2. Vanish
3. Transposition
4. Transformation
5. Multiplication
6. Penetration
7. Restoration
8. Suspension
9. Levitation
10. Mentalism

Guys, sorry to rain on your parade -- but this is something that's been bothering me for a while. I've seen this all over the boards. What's listed above are NOT theories. They are classifications of effects.

Do you want to read more about the classifications of effects and who classified them?

Click this link here.

If you want to be taken seriously by the academia of magic, you need to learn the proper terminology.

It's a lack of education that hinders magic.

Asher

If this is the case, then what are the ten theories of magic? If there are none, then why is this website named theory11. JB himself said that this website is supposed to be the "eleventh theory of magic." If there are no ten theories, then this statement is pretty stupid. My question is this: Should we even be able to take theory11 seriously if they don't even have a good education in magic? Since they're supposedly lacking education, Asher says they're hindering magic. Should we even trust T11 then?

Don't want to come off as angry or upset, I'm just a bit confused, so if someone could clear this up for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

D21400

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
Isn't that idea of 10 theories a hypothese?
It's a Metaphore for the idea after TH11. To begin a revolution in th magic world.

that's my opnion,

D21400

Sep 1, 2007
It was a hype to get people to come to this store. They just want money. "Theory11" sounds the "coolest" (just imagine the names theory10, theory9), so they just bsed 10 theories. The 11th theory is "rich greedy, magic corporation profiting off teens."

"And here, we, go"

I wonder if this theory in magic is going to be the next hot subject.
Theories are supported hypothesis or group of hypothesi.
So if we analize and hypothesis reason why magic works we can come up with.

1. We rely on human cognition ( the ability to predict an outcome)
2. Human visual system is flawed
3. Human senses can be manipulated
4. Presentation is everything
5. Different personalities=different feedback
I am hurting my head trying to get the last 5 but IMO these are real theories of magic.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
Let's say we ignore the thought that the 11th theory is just something that T11 has made up. That doesn't mean you should not trust the site. All of us has seen the work that's gone into make these wonderful videos and they are really good effects as well.

Anthony Nguyen

Feb 8, 2008
Let's say we ignore the thought that the 11th theory is just something that T11 has made up. That doesn't mean you should not trust the site. All of us has seen the work that's gone into make these wonderful videos and they are really good effects as well.

Anthony Nguyen

I agree with the fact that T11 has put out a good amount of products and I did not create this thread to bash T11. It's a great site. It's just that there seems to be conflicting opinions here. If they classified themselves as the eleventh theory (forgetting if that's egotistical, greedy, or anything like that) then that shows that they have little education in magic, as Asher so tenderly put it. Asher also claims that the lack of education harms magic. (a statement I agree with) If 1+1=2, then Theory 11 is hurting magic.

... At least according to Lee Asher.

Jan 30, 2009
I really doubt that something as small as a company name is really going to hurt magic. The entire explination of the name including the line about there being 10 theories was made jokingly, example "Theorys 1 through 10 were already taken." There is also still 2 other reasons for the name. It was started by 11 people, and they focus on 1 on 1's or 1:1.

I think that the name penguin magic is hurting the art as well. They don't sell any penguins whatsoever. Also ellusionist, what's with the 'e'?

Look guys, a name is a name, let's try and look past it. I'm not going to walk down the road to McDonalds and complain that their name is unethical and is destroying the fast food art. :confused:

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results