The 3 Coins Across

Jan 24, 2010
In the moment.
So I finally learned a real routine!!!!@ Not that I could ever actually fool someone with it yet =( I've been practicing it though and I'm much better off than I was when I started. I'm not sure what all the versions are out there but I'm using an extra coin and utility switching at the beginning. I've just got a few questions that I think will help me out.

Like, on the switch in the beginning, should I be classic palming or finger palming? Classic palming is way harder but I'm worried that finger palming just isn't the right way.

Or getting the last coin over, I've been diligently working on my muscle pass but its not quite ambidextrous and sometimes(a lot of the time =P) I drop the coin or don't quite make it to my other hand. So either tips or maybe another way to get the coin across?

I'm mainly just looking for some dumb "rookie" mistake or just some intuitive tips, I know practice makes perfect and trust me, I don't really put the coins down for very long. Also! If you just want to talk about your coins across learning experience or how much you hate this move, please go right ahead!

Sep 3, 2007
Hahaha... I was just kidding around, hope you got that. But really, try out some different things for someone close and see what they think.

What kind of 3 coins across (where'd you learn it) are you doing? I'm guessing it's not an in-the-hands version?

Gil

Apr 1, 2009
I make the coins travel 1 by one to the specator's hand. And the third one under their watch

Jan 24, 2010
In the moment.
Yeah I got it =)

No, its one where you produce them by dropping them on a table palm down. I learned the basics of it from Winged Silver in Bobo's. But I muscle pass the last coin over cuz its the only way I know how right now. I'm sure once I go out and buy a dvd with Mr. Cleans Coin Across on it a lot of questions will get answered. That's the version I really wanna know.

Under the watch still baffles me lol.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
For the last coin in my coins across routines, I either do a deep back clip / heel clip steal, or a Flashback where all the coins are seen to travel back to the original hand. You could do something like that.

Scott.

Sep 3, 2007
You might be able to help me here. Three coins across is a flawed idea. Three coins going from one hand to the other. What is the kicker? That last coin?

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Ideally, yes. I wouldn't say it's flawed if it doesn't have a kicker. The payoff can be the escalating impossibility of the travelling of the coins. That last coin has to seem the most impossible. I guess that's the "finale".

A backfire is a "kicker". You could do that.

Scott.

Jan 24, 2010
In the moment.
Thanks I'll have to figure out how to do those but those are good ideas.

And I personally feel like 3 Coins Across is just the beginning. Eventually I think it would just be a way to add coins to another routine or start one off. Right now its hard enough to do all by itself =P

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I'm not sure if I would call it a flawed idea. Perhaps it doesn't fit into the conventional formula with a large climax at the end, but it does however have a very natural finish and people know when the effect is over because the last coin has traveled impossibly.

When I do 3/4 across, for the last phase I have someone put their hands in the middle, because people really do think that I throw the coins. I've always got a good response from people to this effect. I wouldn't discard it too quickly from your repertoire. Not to mention it's something you can do impromptu with any borrowed coins.

j

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I'm not sure if I would call it a flawed idea. Perhaps it doesn't fit into the conventional formula with a large climax at the end, but it does however have a very natural finish and people know when the effect is over because the last coin has traveled impossibly.

When I do 3/4 across, for the last phase I have someone put their hands in the middle, because people really do think that I throw the coins. I've always got a good response from people to this effect. I wouldn't discard it too quickly from your repertoire. Not to mention it's something you can do impromptu with any borrowed coins.

j

I think the spectator holding their hand out for the last phase of the trick is a nice idea. You could play around with that a bit more.

Have them hold out their hand vertically

Place each hand on each side of their hand and the last coin you can throw through their hand, making a clinking sound when you do the throwing motion.

When throwing the last coin you can softly hit your hand with theirs.

I don't know, just making up stuff as I go.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
I think the spectator holding their hand out for the last phase of the trick is a nice idea. You could play around with that a bit more.

Have them hold out their hand vertically

Place each hand on each side of their hand and the last coin you can throw through their hand, making a clinking sound when you do the throwing motion.

When throwing the last coin you can softly hit your hand with theirs.

I don't know, just making up stuff as I go.

Have you seen Chris Korn do his coins across to spectator's hand? He uses the spectator's VERTICAL hand kind of as a shield to hide a lot of the dirty work. Very cool concept.

Scott.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results