The Art of Astonishment?

Dec 5, 2007
Hello everyone :)

I got the art of astonishment awhile ago becaus im on a budget and i can only buy like on thing every year and that book set has 222 effects in it so i tought that would be a good buy.

I'v heard so much good things about this book set from both pros and amature magicians and alot of people calls it the bible of close up magic and the best thing they ever bought so i tought that it has to be a great book.

But the thing is i cant really find any effects that i like or that sounds any good and i have read the whole books many many times.

I dont think the books are bad but im terrible att learning from books so that might be the problem that i have a hard time to see how the effect should look like.

Can someone please give me some advice on some good effects from the books?

I really want to give theese books a chance and dont feel like iv wasted my money.

Heres a list of some of my favorite:

-Interlaced Vanish
-Invisible Palm
-Leaf
-Crostwist
-Silver Slide
-Reset

Just to name a few.
All are good just have patience and read each effect and practice them.

Shane

Dec 5, 2007
Indiana, USA
The first post lists some great tricks but they are not for the beginner. Here are some easier tricks that are still pretty cool:
Color Stunner
Flash Fold
Solid Deception
Vacuum Cleaner Cards
Stapled

They are fun to perform and popular with spectators. Hope this helps.

Sep 1, 2007
The first post lists some great tricks but they are not for the beginner. Here are some easier tricks that are still pretty cool:
Color Stunner
Flash Fold
Solid Deception
Vacuum Cleaner Cards
Stapled

They are fun to perform and popular with spectators. Hope this helps.

Warning! Solid deception is so good, it may render your specs unconscious. Put the time into it, and it will be one of the funniest routines you do. People will know how to explain this to their friends... and explain why they crapped their pants also. :D

Ditto on Fizz Master. Also try out Unshuffling Rebecca. The books full of gems. A good thing to do is try out the effect in the mirror. If your feelin a vibe, try it on people with some presentation. Usually tells you how good a trick is.

Hands down my favorite effect from AoA is the Invisible Palm.

David

I really like The Invisible Palm, but the bad thing is that is that your surface has to be flat, so you can't use a slanted desk top or rough surface, and there can't be any wind.

The slightest wind, or shake of the surface by someone bumping in to it can ruin the effect.

Sep 8, 2007
www.youtube.com
I really like The Invisible Palm, but the bad thing is that is that your surface has to be flat, so you can't use a slanted desk top or rough surface, and there can't be any wind.

The slightest wind, or shake of the surface by someone bumping in to it can ruin the effect.

I also agree. You also have a hard time doing it when people are sitting down. Sometimes, they... you know what I mean :cool:

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
I think you should practise learning from books.

Books contain many gems, and it's invaluable to be able to learn from both DVDs and books. Be patient. It's sometimes hard to understand handling. But, learning to learn from books pays of!

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
-cros twist routine with colour change finale
-chocolate coin
-fizz master
-ultimate rip off
-color stunner
-solid deception
-improv nightshades
-the altman maneuvre
-flutter
-vanish 5000
-facelift
griffin under glass
-million dollar mindreader
-reset, and reset options
-king solomons drink
-englands penetration
-sliding ink
-up the ladder (and down your shorts) false cut
-flip flop plop control
-double monte
-tic tac
-close quarters
-PH invisible palm

these are all effects from AoA. most by paul harris, some from guest contributors, all of which i have done, and will do again for genuine human's, they're really good, strong pieces.

C!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results