The best pass?

Nov 5, 2014
I do many passes including the herman pass, the classic pass, and the turn over pass...
but when I am in a crowd performance, with people on all sides of me, I am not sure what pass I should do that has no angle sensitivity. Any advice?

Dec 29, 2011
Certain people consider the term 'angle proof' to mean different things. To me, it means that there is literally no angle to look from that would reveal the method; but with that being said the most angle proof pass I know of is Mystery Mark's Practical Pass DVD.

There are some issues with the manufacturing causing it to be (very) late however if you are interested you could Google it and check out his store, I would absolutely highly recommend everything and anything that is available there too. If you have any doubts Mark or anyone in the DSZ team or even the MTG forums will be glad to let you know about what you're after.

Its just a not very known pass that happens to be the best I've seen, I can personally assure its effectiveness, you'd be crazy not to at least check it out.

Jul 13, 2014
The spread pass also has very strong angles. And in norman becks lecture on penguin magic he demonstrates a move that has the same effect as a cover pass but has the best angle control I've ever seen. Also if you're surrounded, Vernon's saying of a large action covers a small one would fit perfectly. Turning around while executing a classic pass should be pretty much undetectable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 27, 2014
Personally I love the Steve Drauns Midnight Shift, angles permitting, its a real thing of beauty, such a shame nobody see's it :)

Feb 18, 2014
To be honest, I have seen way too many people fed up on the pass. If you want a truly angle proof pass, I would resort to a dribble pass while coming to the side in a moving action. If you are looking to improve your pass, there are two thing I strongly recommend.

Look at:
Alex Pandrea- Brick Pass
Riichard Kaufman- On The Pass

Those are excellent resources! Alex has an amazing Pass known as T.O.P. it is the best turnover pass I have ever seen.

Jul 13, 2014
Top isn't a pass, it's a control. And Alex might be good, but Jason England does and teaches these moves better than he does.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
From what I have researched, there is no 'pass to rule them all'. There ARE, however hundreds of pass variants.
The above resources are valuable in an attempt to find that pass that fits your style.

But keep in mind, there seems to be a degree of misdirection that is involved in any pass.

It comes down to research, preference, and practice.

Feb 18, 2014
Well for me I do a pass on the on-beat not the off-beat as many people will suggest. I straight up do it in their faces while their looking but I provide justification. I come to the side while doing a dribble pass and say "About how far down in the deck do you think that is? about 30 cards or so"

I personally didn't like Jason England's tutorial on the pass that much. I much rather prefer Alex Pandrea's. Richard Kaufman, though, as far as I've seen has the absolute best tutorial on the pass with their variants.

Jul 13, 2014
I guess. Jason does it quite a bit better then pandrea, but I guess the teaching is personal preference. But from what I understand Larry Jennings was the best with the pass you you might want to look into his work as well.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Really, when you get down to it, provided you learn your technique from a relatively competent source, it doesn't matter what book, download or DVD you choose. What makes a difference is how much, and how intelligently, you practise. If it's a choice between spending half an hour reading forum threads about which source is best for learning the pass or spending that same amount of time practising, you're going to get far more benefit from the practice. Just pick a source, any source, to get the basic idea of the mechanics and then the work begins.

So, to directly answer the OP, the best pass is the one you've done 10,000 reps of, in all the different contexts you're likely to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2014
I disagree. A good teacher will substantially speed up the learning process. I was trying to learn the strike second deal from ECT. After watching Jason England lecture on penguin magic, and then foundations I made a huge amount of progress in an extremely short time. It was worth waaaayyyy more than the five hours I spent watching the lecture and it would've been worth several more hours is searching through forums to find it. A half hour of practice by itself won't make much of a difference to your pass. But finding a good source to learn from will.

I disagree. A good teacher will substantially speed up the learning process. I was trying to learn the strike second deal from ECT. After watching Jason England lecture on penguin magic, and then foundations I made a huge amount of progress in an extremely short time. It was worth waaaayyyy more than the five hours I spent watching the lecture and it would've been worth several more hours is searching through forums to find it. A half hour of practice by itself won't make much of a difference to your pass. But finding a good source to learn from will.

i think theres a good chance you improved so much because as practiced for five hours straight while watching.
Plus the second deal is far more technical than the pass. I didn't do a classic pass for a long time, i just read it in card college and practiced for a couple of months and honestly i'm not very good at it. But i have the timing and misdirection so it doesn't even matter

Jul 13, 2014
i think theres a good chance you improved so much because as practiced for five hours straight while watching.
Plus the second deal is far more technical than the pass. I didn't do a classic pass for a long time, i just read it in card college and practiced for a couple of months and honestly i'm not very good at it. But i have the timing and misdirection so it doesn't even matter
That wasn't it. I wasn't doing the second deal during the lecture, not that five hours is enough to make that much difference anyway. It's because I followed his instructions on how to learn it and practiced that a ton. As a result I got this far in a few months instead of a few years. And the pass is simpler, but it's nearly impossible to do completely invisibly. Learning it from a good teacher with subtleties and ideas to help you learn it and make it more invisible in a shorter period of time.

Nov 17, 2014
The Spread pass - Has great teaching by Chad Nelson. Well justified natural movement in execution. I love it

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results