The First Stages: My Magic Promotional Video

I have contacted some university students to create a promotional video for me to advertise and show off what I can do basically. These students will be creating the film, plus designing the cover and the CD itself. So I have a team going on here.

They have never done a magic video before for promotional use, so it will be good for them, but also it is for their final project as they are in their last year at university, so it should be a pretty decent video.

I am writing here, because I do not want to miss anything to make this video worth while, so I would like some ideas from you guys for the video, and what to add and what to not add etc.

Please try and be as serious as you can, as once the video is made, I may give you a chance to see it all, plus your ideas may be in the video! (So don’t suggest ideas if you don’t want me to use them)

For the start of the video, I was thinking of a typical introduction of my logo animating. For those that do not know what my logo looks like, it is here: http://www.stevenlevitt.co.uk/img/headerheart.jpg

And to music, I wanted to show my card handling, such as shuffles, cutting the cards, and card manipulation, which are pretty fast movements.

Then it goes into the short magic effects with cards, such as colour changes (where the cards instantly and beautifully change into other cards etc), and other quick magic tricks so it is all fast at the start to catch the viewers attention.

Once that has started, then it goes into me performing a few card effects. (by the way this video is going to be all card unique magic)

I would like them to use some nice video SFX just for effect not during me performing as I do not want to give the feel that camera tricks are involved.

Then credits and my web address at the end.

These are the basic ideas I have at this stage, they will obviously do the handling, and the editing, and also the designing for the graphics on the covers, and I will do the work on the film.

Suggest anything you like, I am just grabbing final ideas, as I do not want to create it and something is missing from it. Thanks for reading and I appreciate anything :)

Oct 24, 2007
Well, I can't really tell you what's good for you to put into your video. I don't know what your skills range from and what you can do.

But, as far as editing and certain shots, here is a great thread to read: http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=4029&highlight=Video+Editing

Probably be good to let the film students see the basic outline of a magic video, since they haven't done one before. Also, your banner is cool, is the main logo part able to be detached? Cause banners aren't good to use in video editing, the logo needs to be versatile. A fade in and out on a logo is kind of boring. Also, you don't want to start up the video immediately with your logo. It's best to lead into the logo, then after the logo, lead into the video, building up to the climax.

Anyway, if you need any help, I'm here. Just PM me. Hope that thread helps! Peace!

Tyler

I can understand that.

Thank you for linking me to that thread, I will have a read of it.

Yeah I suppose I could show them examples, and my logo is all in photoshop so it is easy to edit etc and it is all in parts. They will be able to do something with that I am sure. What do you mean have the logo come in later? What goes before it?

I appreciate your help.

Hey, well it sounds like you've got a good idea there. I would recommend trying to get live performances in your video to show your interaction with your audience. In this video you will want to showcase everything that you are trying to sell into a short span of time.

It's a hard thing to do, but try to take the BEST parts of you and put it in. Don't nit pick around, get to the point.

Mitchell

Yeah, I guess it will be a good idea to get the audiences reactions. Thank you for your help, and thread looks like a beast of a thread to read, but it looks very detailed and interesting, so I will read that and take notes later today.

Dec 28, 2007
If you are doing a show reel that you can show to prospective clients, i would drop any footage of you just doing tricks and do ALL live stuff.

Any body who is thinking of hiring you will want to see how you perform as this is what they are paying you to do.

The reactions will speak for themselves and any null reactions you can edit out.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
If you are doing a show reel that you can show to prospective clients, i would drop any footage of you just doing tricks and do ALL live stuff.

Any body who is thinking of hiring you will want to see how you perform as this is what they are paying you to do.

The reactions will speak for themselves and any null reactions you can edit out.

Great point. There are so many videos of magicians sitting alone in front of their webcam... Live performances are so much more fun to watch. Plus, you learn what you did well, and what you need to work on in any live performance.

Jan 11, 2008
I will echo that statement and say, "Think about why we as magicians tend to buy some of these one effect DVD's." We see live performance footage and people's outrageous reactions. We as entertainers want to be able to provide that to people and so we buy the effect. I would definitely add live footage and keep the flourishing or anything in the opening sequence with music. Also...I have done may videos..none magic but other types of highlight videos. People want to see quick bursts of excitement for a max of 15 secs and then move on. Don't let things drag.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results