The Idea...

A writer writes books. A pen, computer, paper, are all tools of a writer to bring the story to you. The book is made. You read the story. Why do you read it again? It's not because of the cover. Not because of the paper it's typed on. You like the story so much, the idea, the concept, the moral, and the imagination of the story so much that you'd want to read it again.

The book gives you the despription. The idea. YOU imagine it. YOU experiance it. The imagination doesn't happen in the book. It happens through you. Your mind.

This is how I view magic. I don't see magic in genres, or as things that would look cool. I view it as something I can give to people, not as something I can do. Because I con't do magic. Nobody can. Magic doesn't exist. It can only be imagined or thought of.

Magic is an IDEA. Not an action.

I am a magician. I give the IDEA of magic. A deck of cards, a coin, a gimmick, are my tools to bring the idea of magic to you. You perform with the deck of cards, coin, or gimmick. The idea of magic is created. The concept of magic it forced into the audiences mind.

You don't want a scream. You don't want people running away, or "freaking out". The best reaction a magician could ever get is that dead silence. Why are they silent? Because they're THINKING.

This is the point I'm trying to get across. Look at your magic differently. Think of the idea, the concept your trying to get across to your audience. Because in the end, after you've done all the thinking about the trick, it's the audience that's going to be thinking about the trick.

Your goal. You want nothing more than your audience thinking that what you have done was pure magic and nothing less than that. Don't focus as much on the trick itself, but what it takes to get into the audiences head that you just did magic right in front of them. Real magic. You don't say it's real, but you leave it up to your spectators to decide that.

Magic in reality doesn't exist. The real magic happens in the spectators mind.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
You don't want people running away, or "freaking out". The best reaction a magician could ever get is that dead silence. Why are they silent? Because they're THINKING.
Although it is funny as hell when they do "freak out"... as long as they come back and want to see more.

Oct 6, 2007
WOW..

An excellent....eexcelent post...

SOmething thats relly gona change the way i perform my 'magic'. And its a different view!
A lot of people tell u that you should view your tricks as MAGIC so the spectator would tooo....but youre saying that there is no magic, and that the performer shouldnt try and force the issue...but let the auidience think for themeselves and judge whether it was nagic or not.

Great idea, thanks!

WOW..

An excellent....eexcelent post...

SOmething thats relly gona change the way i perform my 'magic'. And its a different view!
A lot of people tell u that you should view your tricks as MAGIC so the spectator would tooo....but youre saying that there is no magic, and that the performer shouldnt try and force the issue...but let the auidience think for themeselves and judge whether it was nagic or not.

Great idea, thanks!

I'm so glad this helped you out. That's exactly the point I was trying to get across.

I'm glad you liked it :).

Nov 20, 2007
You are right.

However I would say magic is not and idea but perception I think using that word will make your point a little more clear to all. Its that property that makes magic so incredibly interesting.:D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results