The Incredible Stage Prediction

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Hi guys.

I've never done a stage performance (of magic) before, but I would really love to give it a go. I have been working on my own mentalism routine, but I really feel I need some feedback on it. I'd be very grateful if you could read through my idea and imagine you were in the audience and tell me what you think. Thanks :D

-----------

After an introduction, the performer introduces a soft toy, which he explains will aid in the fair selection of audience members (Yay for Derren Brown!). The soft toy is thrown out and chucked about between audience members a few times, and as this is done, five people who catch the toy are asked to stand up.

The performer asks each of them in turn to think of any card and name it. The performer writes each of the thought of cards down clearly on a large pad of paper. The audience members are asked to sit down.

Once again, the soft toy is thrown around to find another audience member. The performer explains that this is the important one, and upon introducing five black sleeves with a bit of white card clearly sticking out of the top from behind a wide black stand, he explains that he as made a very special prediction, "filled with suspense".

The performer places the five sleeves on the stand in a line, each of the sleeves above a number from 1 to 5. The selected audience member is asked to think of any one of the cards previously thought of by audience members (On the pad of paper).

When the audience member names the card they were thinking of, the performer circles that card on the pad, and makes a comment such as "Shall we have a look at part of the prediction, then?", as he moves over to the nearest sleeve and holds it out openly in front of him so that everyone can see. "Some people may find the suspense of this a little overwhelming, please feel free to leave the room for a second if you feel you must." The white card is openly pulled out of the sleeve and is seen to show "Look at card no 2" (for example).

The performer approaches sleeve 2, and again, as openly as possible begins to pull the card from the sleeve "Look at card no 5". The performer makes a comment such as "The suspense is killing me!". Opening sleeve 5 reveals a card saying "Look at card no 3", and card 3 reads "Look in card no 4". Each time the white card is replaced where the sleeve used to be.

"Sleeve 4... Only one card left. This is the big moment...". The card is slowly slid out to reveal the card that the selected audience member thought of. *Applause (hopefully)*.

"That is amazing, thank you very much for taking part... But wouldn't it be even more amazing if..." The performer approaches the 4 white cards on the stand, "Not only was I able to predict a merely twice thought of card..." The performer turns over the white pieces of card to reveal that on the back of the cards are the other four cards that audience members and thought of and named. "I was actually able to predict a whole lot more."

-------------------------------

Thank you so much for taking the time read this. Please let me know what you think. Would this entertain you? Is the method obvious?

Thanks!

Huruey

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 3, 2008
Hi,

I like this one, but there are some question. Last four cards, shere did thouse come from?

I think you should better do it with shapes on cards or something, because many people do not like involving cards into such effects.

Also, do you use jumbo cards?

Thanks,

Tomas

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Hi,

I like this one, but there are some question. Last four cards, shere did thouse come from?

I think you should better do it with shapes on cards or something, because many people do not like involving cards into such effects.

Also, do you use jumbo cards?

Thanks,

Tomas

The large white cards with the predictions on have the predictions either drawn on or written on. The reason I've used playing cards is because it restricts it to ensure the thought of things don't get too obscure, but there are enough possibilities to make it amazing. Shapes, that was what I originally started developing this idea with, but I changed to cards because it feels like there are a lot more possible outcomes, and you don't have to explicitly give them a list of things they must chose from.

If you asked a person to name 5 shapes, its likely they'll very often been pretty much the same 5 shapes.

Thanks for the feedback! :D

Huruey

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Thanks! :D

I have not yet tried this, seen as it will take a lot of time and effort to put together, I have been working only on the theory behind it all, and wanted to get some feedback to see if people thought it would actually work or not before attempting it.

And yes, I am a fan of Derren Brown ;)

Huruey

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results