The New Review:// Lit by Dan Hauss and Dan White

May 18, 2008
Yep, I skipped a week! Oh well, at least it is in a good way! I needed to be one of the first to review this on penguin since it is on the front page, plus this means I don't have to do a review next week!

Alright, so ON WIT' DAT FUNKY REVIEW!

What the Dan The Dizzle Hauss says:

From the mind of Dan Hauss and Dan White comes an effect featured on the September 24th international David Blaine television special. The reactions with Lit are explosive.

A spectator is asked to take a match out of a matchbook, and ignite a match to verify its validity. The matchbook is then held tightly in their closed fist.

A card is selected in the deck - then visually vanished under impossible conditions. The spectator slowly opens their hand to find the matchbook has visually transformed into a twisted hybrid of playing card and match pack.
Easy to do.
Perfect for all close up situations.
As seen on national TV and used regularly by David Blaine
Includes Bonus routines (Dan White's Floating Match on Hand and Andrew Gerard's Self Lighting Match Pack)

What You Get
Detailed instructional DVD with bonus handlings and 14 gimmicks

FAQ
Q: Do I destroy a gimmick every time I perform?
A: No way! You can perform LIT hundreds of times with the gimmicks provided. If you choose to give away your gimmick as a souvenir, then you'll have to get more. Simple :)

And it is all the truth!

First Thoughts:

When I first saw this trick on the Dive of Death special, I fell in love with it! I couldn't imagine bieng able to perform that. I thought for sure it was a camera trick or a stooge!

But it wasn't! There is an ACTUAL method! And it ISN'T A PIPE DREAM! THIS IS MUCHO EASY!

I couldn't believe how clever this is! This and Elixer of Life are my definite TWO PURCHASES OF THE YEAR.

The Package:

It comes in a small, half sized DVD case that looks SLEEK. Really nice looking.

On the front, it has a cool picture of a match and the words,

Light brings out,
The truth,
Which only the darkness,
Can hide.

Which is really cool. On the inside, it has a nice looking heavy duty envelope with the gimmicks in it. These are REALLY cool, but when I first looked at them I had that moment of, "What the... Oh! That's old... Wait... Does that actually work?".

The DVD:

The DVD looks nice, and when you first pop it in, it starts playing really eerie music, and showing some REALLY nice city that you only dream of bieng able to go to and see the nightlife.

It has three options, Play, Chapters, and Extras. A LOT of time was put into making this look as good as it does. Trust me, this entire DVD looks REALLY good. Like, better than Theory11. Seriously.

What is taught:

This DVD teaches you how to make the gimmick (of course using what came) which only takes about 20 seconds. This is taught by Dan White and is easy to understand.

It also teaches forces, vanishes of the card (not the standard rubaway either). The vanish that Dan Hauss teaches actually is something I haven't seen before and DEFINITLY soemthing I am going to start to use.

Quality:

The quality of performances, music, editing, everything is probbably the BEST I have seen aside from Control by Theory11.

The only thing is that the parts that Dan Hauss teaches he is like screaming a little and the camera is much lower quality than all the rest of the DVD.

Dan White teaches in the same place that eXile (available from T11) was filmed, and outside. What is wierd is that even the outside clip by Dan White was SUPER high quality.

Performances:

This DVD actually comes with several performances by Dan Hauss. All are for different audiences and it really shows the diversity of this effect.

This also really helps in confidence. It is very possible and really easy. Dan Hauss shows that.

Teaching:

The teaching is FANTASTIC. You have NO problem in the world of how to do a thing. They both go over it a TON. It is awesome.

Signed Version:

At first it was a bit of a letdown, because they only taught the unsigned version (I.E. the one David Blaine DIDN'T perform).

But then they went into a discussion about the signed version. And it is pretty tough! A lot of gimmicks will be waisted in trying until you get it right, and it will definitly take some serious practice. Not easy.

But that is DEFINITLY ok. Still doable and not a pipe dream. I only use the unsigned version because it gets the same reactions and people don't know that the signature is missing if you don't do it with the signature in the first place.

Floating Match:

If I used the gimmick he uses here, I would use this effect. Looks REALLY magical and ghostly, and is darn clever. Wouldn't be certain it hasn't been done before though.

It is done with a commercially available prop and many of you I am sure have used and own this prop.

Self-Lighting Match Pack:

You have to REALLY be careful when doing this. This is the work of science, and so it is really kinda dangerous. It does hit HARD when done right, and you do get to see a full performance of this effect.

I might have to try this, but it uses some stuff that you have to get off the internet, so it will be a while. Good news is that it is inexpensive and you only use a little each time.

Music:

The music of this DVD is amazing, and I REALLY like it. I had it in my head ALL day after watching this.

Only con is that it is one of those musics that makes you really sad when the DVD ends... Like you wanna watch it again.

Gimmicks:

The gimmicks are nicely made. Very cool idea and VERY clever thinking. They are available from penguin as a refill to this trick (thank god) and you can get 14 more for only $9.30 cents. You can buy them at http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=11104 .

Trust me though, don't only buy the refill like some spoiled little kid. You will be TOTALLY lost and you won't get the AWESOME DVD.

Price:

This is $30.99 at Penguin. DEFINITLY worth the money. Once again however, I shall brag by saying that I got it for only ten bucks (yup, you read that right) from a dealer at the convention.

Man though, I would have paid SO MUCH more for this. I LOVE this.

Practicality and Reset:

A lot of people ask about this. This is VERY practical and I swear you will use this. Just two little things to carry around in your pocket and you are set to go.

And the reset is instant, provided you don't give it away as a suivineer.

Final Thoughts:

If you don't buy this by now, you are a total idiot. Seriously. I don't know what I would do without this!

This is super cool, clever, and most importantly practical and possible.

Please buy it now.

Please.

NEXT WEEK IN THE NEW REVIEW:
PANIC by Aaron Fisher

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results