The Online Cardistry Community Now

James555

Elite Member
Sep 10, 2011
Australia
"The online flourishing community comes across as a little bit post-apocalyptic right now. Courageous bands of survivors dotted across a bleak landscape, but in an otherwise empty and dead environment. We still have people putting out material, still have posts appearing across a few forums and boards, but it's not even close to the level of activity it used to have when Decknique, Handlordz and Dan & Dave (the "Big Three") were at their peak.

Best,
Vince"

This quote on another thread was a bit of an eye opener. I don't know what it is but there seems to be a loss of activity in the Cardistry community... It all seems a little... Quiet. Lonely perhaps. As Vince mentioned we still do see lots of material popping up around the place but the vibe of having cardists interacting with one another appears to have died down a bit. Vince put it like this; "Courageous bands of survivors dotted across a bleak landscape, but in an otherwise empty and dead environment. We still have people putting out material, still have posts appearing across a few forums and boards, but it's not even close to the level of activity it used to have." We still have the content being put out by a good lot of talented guys but I feel as if there is no home for Cardists in a sense. Perhaps it's because we lack.. sort of an epicentre or no central place where the community can gather as a whole. Look at it this way; The Dan and Dave forum is quiet, as is this one, UC is inhabited by collectors and the cardistry vibe there is otherwise dead, and aethercards is not strictly cardistry and only very few cardists post there. I imagine other forums would be in a similar boat; lacking activity, community and buzz. BUT If Kardistry.com had a forum then I could seriously see a new larger community gathering there. Also, organised Google+ hangouts would be great for online jam sessions and chat about cards and flourishes. Again, the content is there but I feel as though a central gathering is absent.

Take it as you will, you may disagree but I've certainly noticed this :)

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Hi there,

I've been doing Cardistry/flourishing for a few years now and just have a few comments.

First of all, and this has been a subject that has been beaten to death, the only way that the community will become "interested" and "involved" again is of its own accord. I know this sounds slightly pessimistic, but I don't think that there is a surefire way to make people come back and interact with others.

I know people have tried to set up Google hangouts, tinychats, Skype sessions, etc. but those things won't really help unless anyone participates and that just isn't happening. Like you said, there are still plenty of people posting super cool ideas and videos, but the forum community is just a little lackluster.

Just like other products/hobbies, flourishing/cardistry will have its ups and downs. There will be periods like this where no-one seems to be publicly interested in "sharing ideas" but I'm sure that once new material and some sort of stimulus hits the community, it'll pick back up again.

After that wave of pessimism, I think the best way to try and fix this (which is not guaranteed to work but is certainly a step in the right direction) is to start more topics and conversations that are actually new and insightful. There have been too many of these "What can we do to save the community" (not blasting you here, just stating a pattern I've noticed) and too few interesting topics. Personally, I have no interest in telling people about my favorite flourish 347 times. Engaging topics will, in my opinion, go a long way towards helping the forums get back on their feet.

And if that still doesn't work, stick with flourishing, do whatever you can to promote the art, and, most importantly, have fun! You may not be in this to make money or become ultra-famous but it's an enjoyable experience that is even more fun with friends!

My two cents.

James555

Elite Member
Sep 10, 2011
Australia
Hi there,

I've been doing Cardistry/flourishing for a few years now and just have a few comments.

First of all, and this has been a subject that has been beaten to death, the only way that the community will become "interested" and "involved" again is of its own accord. I know this sounds slightly pessimistic, but I don't think that there is a surefire way to make people come back and interact with others.

I know people have tried to set up Google hangouts, tinychats, Skype sessions, etc. but those things won't really help unless anyone participates and that just isn't happening. Like you said, there are still plenty of people posting super cool ideas and videos, but the forum community is just a little lackluster.

Just like other products/hobbies, flourishing/cardistry will have its ups and downs. There will be periods like this where no-one seems to be publicly interested in "sharing ideas" but I'm sure that once new material and some sort of stimulus hits the community, it'll pick back up again.

After that wave of pessimism, I think the best way to try and fix this (which is not guaranteed to work but is certainly a step in the right direction) is to start more topics and conversations that are actually new and insightful. There have been too many of these "What can we do to save the community" (not blasting you here, just stating a pattern I've noticed) and too few interesting topics. Personally, I have no interest in telling people about my favorite flourish 347 times. Engaging topics will, in my opinion, go a long way towards helping the forums get back on their feet.

And if that still doesn't work, stick with flourishing, do whatever you can to promote the art, and, most importantly, have fun! You may not be in this to make money or become ultra-famous but it's an enjoyable experience that is even more fun with friends!

My two cents.

No you are right. I too was thinking it may just be a phase and your point on starting new and stimulating topics is dead on. I agree participation cannot be forced and I'd certainly like to see some new conversation. We just need that engaging stimulus like you mentioned. I'm still adamant however that we are in fact missing a centralised place. But again, participation requires new stimulus which will promote members to engage with one another.

I started this thread simply because I had noticed the buzz dying down, I didn't want to start it for the sake of flogging a dead horse if you catch my meaning.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
No you are right. I too was thinking it may just be a phase and your point on starting new and stimulating topics is dead on. I agree participation cannot be forced and I'd certainly like to see some new conversation. We just need that engaging stimulus like you mentioned. I'm still adamant however that we are in fact missing a centralised place. But again, participation requires new stimulus which will promote members to engage with one another.

I started this thread simply because I had noticed the buzz dying down, I didn't want to start it for the sake of flogging a dead horse if you catch my meaning.

Completely understandable my friend. I do agree that a more centralized area would be helpful but interest has to be shown first before that's viable.

Anyway, hope you have a nice day/week/holiday season/year!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results