The Paper Engine by Aaron Fisher

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
The Paper Engine is a true work of magic art. Young card master Aaron Fisher has done the world of card magic a ton of good with his fantastic book, and has enhanced the work of card students everywhere.

Inside the beautiful book cover is almost 150 pages of pure card work, from sleights, to controls, to effects. Each sleight, many of which are passes and half passes, are nothing less than beautiful, each one with the potential to be a beautifully flowing addition to your repertoire. Many things are offered within this book, and one of the main things is confidence. With such challenging sleights, students cannot help but try to learn them. After really studying and polishing the move or effect, the only thing left is to take it live. Upon doing thing, confidence is definitely needed but with the addictive nature of each effect, it’s near impossible not to give them a whirl at least once. Also, it just feels so great once you can comfortably perform the material in The Paper Engine.

Speaking of the material, may I say the work on Aaron’s famous Gravity Half Pass has been described in an indepth explanation that really helps while learning the sleight. You will be using a decent Gravity Half Pass before you know it. The sleights and controls are excellent and they have a really elegant quality to them. The Outjog Pass and One Handed Pop-Over are truly beautiful, flowing pieces of card work. I added these to my repertoire instantly.

The effects are elegant pieces of magic that will also get audiences to react. This is something I truly appreciate… these effects get reactions without being “freak-out, oh my god” effects. I must admit, I doubted the effectiveness of the work in here. I thought it would be too elegant for audiences to appreciate. However, they merited a wonderful reaction, and since then The Paper Engine has quickly become my favourite book on the subject of card magic. Now, onto the sleights and effects...

THE SLEIGHTS (AND APPLICATIONS) SECTION

The Gravity Half Pass- This sought-after half pass variation has far exceeded the standard half pass. worth the price of the book itself... totally invisible, a card worker's dream. I use this frequently. *****

A Simple Sandwich- Following the Gravity Half Pass, Aaron explains a simple sandwich effect. This one is very elegant and startling. I didn't hae very high expectations for it until I actually performed it live. Now I use it all the time. ****

A Half Pass Variation- Another Half Pass Technique. This is a smooth way of accomplishing a half pass for those who just can't seem to get The Gravity Half Pass working. ****

Revolver: A clean card reversal within the deck effect that also has a surprise kicker ending. I quite like this one... short, sweet, and a great lead into Revolution No. 9. ****

One Handed Popover: Definitely one of the tougher moves in the book but also definitely one worth the practice. A card suddenly appears face up and outjogged from the deck, all with a single one-handed flourishy move. Tons of applications for this, and definitely one worth your time. *****

Hello, Goodbye and Pinch Me I Think I Am Falling: Two great, visual effects using the one handed popover move. Great applications to get you started! ****

The Nowhere Pass: A great way to control a card to any position you want in the deck. Combine this with the subtlety taught later on and you have a very clean looking control. *****

The Illusion Control: Another great way to control a card to any position in the deck. Though angle-sensitive, this control is very clever and definitely worth yur consideration. ****

The Outjog Herrmann Pass: This became one of my favourite applications for the pass. The pass occurs while the selected card remains outjogged from the center of the deck. Wonderful. *****

The Academic Outjog Herrmann Pass: A refined yet more difficult version of the preceding sleight. It looks more natural but in my experience is more difficult to pull off. ****

The Undercover Switch: A way to switch one or more cards in the process of an outjogged strip-out. Applications appear later on in the book. This is an excellent switch that also has some excellent applications.

Simpatico: A finding-the-mates effect using The Undercover Switch. A basic, simple use of the sleight, and it is a great lead-in into a sandwich routine (Simple Sandwich?) ***

Four By Four: Four cards are outjogged from random places in the deck and displayed in their outjogged positions. The spectator freely names any one of them. When the cards are then stripped out they are revealed to have all changed into the named value! A great, startling application of the Undercover Switch, and while it is great on its own, it could also be a great lead-in into a Collectors routine. ****

A Useful Switch: An invisible, instantaneous way of switching out any amount of cards. A very good switch with many applications... perhaps an Ace Assembly? ****

Decking The Top: An invisible subtle move used to aid in the replacement of a palmed card. This is an excellent replacement technique that is also very easy. ****

A Diminishing Lift: A take on the diminishing lift. This is Aaron's interesting way of making the sequence more pure. Although this is an interesting idea, I feel that most will prefer to stick with the standard. However, this may strike a cord with purists. Worth a look! ***

The All Together Now Shift: A shift control of a group of outjogged cards. This is very nice, and worth the practice as it looks very clean. ****

THE MAGIC SECTION

The Omen: A great effect using four cards with a nice theatrical premise and a great surprise climax. The Gravity Half Pass and Diminishing Lift are used. This is fun to perform and the ending always gets a great reaction. ****

The Golden Nugget: Four Queens on top of the pack vanish one by one in an impossible way, then instantly reappear at the end. This is visual and surprising. It uses The Gravity Half Pass (and by my count, a total of 6.) I love this effect. It is very elegant and is a great effect to incorporate into gambling-themed routine. ****

2001, An Ace Odyssey: A super-clean Ace Assembly that is a real fooler. Once again, this uses the Gravity Half Pass (Aaron certainly loves this move!). ****

Three Kings: After four unseen cards are removed, a card is selected and lost in the pack. The spectator fairly selects any one of the four unseen cards, as each one is its own "treasure map". The value of the chosen card is counted down on the deck, and the card counted to is the selection! But, just when the spectator may begin to suspect that all four mystery cards are the same, they are revealed to be the mates of the selected card! This effect is extremely fair and a really great "sucker" effect. This is definitely one of my favourite effects in the book. *****

Revolution No. 9: if you are into visual card magic, this is for you. A deck of cards makes a complete 180 degree revolution... a little bit at a time as if by magic! This is a visually stunning effect that will strike a cord with many sleight of hand junkies. This is the perfect visual quickie. *****

Helter Skelter: The colour changing deck on steriods! Working similar to the aforementioned effect, Helter Skelter is one of the most visual effects in the book. Definitely one I use frequently. *****

Search and Destroy: A semi-automatic effect (for the most part) in which the spectator himself performs a sandwich effect. The Nowhere Pass is the only move used, and the rest is all in the spectator's hands. If your one who loves this sort of effect, then definitely check this out. If you're not, check it out anyway. ****

A Star Is Born: Gordon Bean's contribution that has an intriguing storyline, an a visually devastating climax. This one is beautiful and another effect I use regularly. ****

The Tax Man: One of the cleanest versions of Roy Walton's Collectors plot that I have ever had the pleasure of learning. Aftr merely placing the four cards on top of the deck, the three selections immediately appear between them. This is definitely one of my favourites in the book... way too cool and clean. *****

The Standing Challenge: Gordon Bean's second contribution, this is a startling little quickie. After a card is lost in the deck, the magician tells the spectator that they are in control now. They can choose whether they want their card to appear on top of the deck on on the bottom. The spectator, for example, names the top. The magician turns the deck face up to show the card on "top" although obviously this is not the case... or is it? After the spectator claims that the card is obviously not on top, the magician then spreads through the deck to show that indeed that card is on top because the rest of the deck is now face down! One of my favourites, no doubt about it. I love this one! *****

The Long And Winding Trick: A long routine in which a process lead to not only the discovery of the four kings but also the surprise discovery of the four aces! This is not one you can use all the time as it has an extensive set-up, but it is very impressive and I recommend you try it at least once. ****

Here, There, And Everywhere: The four kings (can be signed) vanish and reappear in the performer's pockets. Once removed and place back in the deck, the deck suddenly vanishes leaving not only the four kings behind but also a previously selected card among them! This is a great visual stand-up card effect that is certainly a great reaction getter. I close my close-up sets with this. *****

All I can say now is "Get this book"! If you are serious about card magic and want to take it to the next level, this gets my highest recommendation. New original sleights and controls and elegant card effects, Aaron Fisher has written an instant classic. I give this book a rating of 10/10 and my highest recommendation.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Purchase it from Aaron Fishers site. It's $24.95 now.

What an awesome book this is, I am excited just reading through it and haven't even started practicing yet.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
I think Kras (the Original Poster) has a video USING the Gravity Half Pass.

My favourite effect would have to be either, 2001 or Helter Skelter. That's just from reading them. Still practicing the GHP and using it for Simple Sandwich. Lots of practice for me

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results