The System - Am I ready?

Dec 31, 2007
Massachusetts
Well I just mastered the W.E.R.M a couple days ago, and I am pretty good with handling cards, I can spread nicely, spring, dribble, and Le Paul. Do you think I am ready for the system? On a scale of 1-10 what do you think on how hard it is? I know it will vary for everyone, but I want to get an average. What kinds of flourishes are on the system? I have watched the demo but it goes a little quick, can anyone post any links of you or someone else performing those flourishes AT Youtube or something from the System and list the name?

Are there any other DVD's that will be good at my level? I picked up 'extreme beginners' and as most of you know I completely hated the DVD. I need something more intermediate with better teaching. THIS THREAD IS NOT GOING TO BE ARGUING ABOUT HOW GOOD AND BAD 'extreme beginners' IS.

Thanks,
Brian

Dec 7, 2007
see the thing with flourishing is you have to start off hard i think but thats opinion. I hated XB so much it was useless to me but again opinionated. I think you just got to know that flourishing will take time to get good at cuz almost all flourishers are either or the system level or the trilogy level or XB level ... so pick one or the other and after that then there is other stuff but learning just one thing on the system can help you learn a lot of other stuff out there just cuz you know how to teach yourself that it requires practice and all that

Sep 1, 2007
I don't know about XB's teaching but System doesn't have much verbal teaching. Before you get the system I highly recommend learning a basic Sybil and the Revolution Cut. Without those you'll be pretty lost.

The flourishes are different kinds of flashy cuts just like you see in the demo. If you're into that type of flourishing then this is something for you. If you like fans and armspreads and stuff then you propably won't like this too much.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
I thought that the System was rather easy as long as you are OK with watching the same move over and over ... watching where the fingers are... how the fingers move.. and etc.

I'd give it a 4-6 rating on how difficult it is

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
the cuts on the system are very hard to learn, not because of difficulty, but because the cuts werent filmed from "over the shoulder" view. they fixed that for the trilogy, so i reccomend the flourishes dvd of the trilogy

Sep 9, 2007
for the system, i think there are 3 things that u should already learn how to do to make it easier to learn

1. Sybil

2. Brian Tudor's One handed revolution cut

3. the molecule shift ( explained in nursery rhymes vol. 2 and the trilogy)

there's also a 4th that i can't even do but if u can learn it before it would help a lot and that is the bad habit move from generation extreme

either way the system is a great buy, buy from dan and dave for a signed copy, i think

Dec 31, 2007
Massachusetts
the cuts on the system are very hard to learn, not because of difficulty, but because the cuts werent filmed from "over the shoulder" view. they fixed that for the trilogy, so i reccomend the flourishes dvd of the trilogy
Wow thanks, now I'm totally not going to get the System! How in hell am I going to learn how to do the flourishes if I can't see over-the-shoulder!

Brian

Oct 28, 2007
i would still recommend the system because even though there is no over the shoulder they still give you multiple angles and differents speeds just pay attention to were the fingure positions are and pause every once and a while. the trilogy only has a few flourishes with over the shoulder such as the j5. there aren't very many sources with over the shoulder view so you might just have to get used to it.

dear brian its quite easy to understand your frustration when it comes to dealing with material that seems hard. now i don't know if you came with some background in magic or you directly started with card flourishes but if u have heard the name of dai vernon my next point would be clear to you. vernon used to say and many of us do believe in the following ::

"If you don't like to practice then for God's sake pick up another hobby like playing the trumpet "

now the above is NOT an exact quote but i hope u get the idea. if it was easy to learn everything then there would not be much fun in this business. the point is to challenge yourself and get hell bent over mastering even the most difficult of sleights/flourishes/moves.

Virtuoso in one of their excellent videos have said "It's not WHAT you do but HOW you do it"

ofcourse when it comes to teaching i really really would have wished that the system had some verbal/auditory instructions. but then again thats the kind of person i am.

donot be dettered by the fact that there is no over the shoulder shots in the system. investing in the system is a good idea.

or you can wait and learn from the many excellent tutorials available at decknique and see more stuff at youtube and develop more confidence in ur abilities.

so what i really am saying to u is that u must not fear hard work. take it up as a challenge. there is plenty of help available to you after u have purchased the system on DnD forums as well.

best wishes
Awhan

Sep 4, 2007
Wow thanks, now I'm totally not going to get the System! How in hell am I going to learn how to do the flourishes if I can't see over-the-shoulder!

Brian

Then don't blame anybody but yourself if you completely miss out on an excellent learning experience that forces you to view things from another perspective. If you need someone to hold your hand through the whole process, drop flourishing. You won't make it through.

I learnt the flourishes without an over-the-shoulder view. So did many others. Why not you?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results