The Theory11 Mystery Package!

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Hmm, that made me think, because I get accused of using a trick deck all the time. I just use regular bicycles. Do you think that is a good thing or a bad thing?

Yeah same here. More people question a bicycle deck rather than a custom deck. I suppose they think that trick bicycle decks are very easy to find?

No, actually, I take my first statement back.

I have never been questioned with a custom deck but have many times with a bicycle.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Hmm, that made me think, because I get accused of using a trick deck all the time. I just use regular bicycles. Do you think that is a good thing or a bad thing?

Depends on how they say it. If they're saying 'that's gotta be a trick deck' seriously, then you might want to structure your routines/effects in a way that disproves this without you having to say anything.

If they're just off-hand saying it then you might be okay

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
One of the major rules of illusion, especially card illusions is to not make unneeded moves due to the fact that it raises questions in the viewers mind. Using something like a standard bicycle deck helps to remove that thought of something "fishy". Having a custom deck brings the thought of "if it looks weird, it probably is weird".

Like all magicians, I've made mistakes performing, but I try to work it into my routine, and I've had more questions over custom decks than bicycles. Maybe that is just my experience, but I'm sure others have had the same.

Additionally, I try not to use decks that tout super smooth handling, etc... I'd love to have some of the brown beauties for my collection of decks, but I wouldn't perform or practice with them. I tend to use other peoples decks as much as I can, doing a trick with a deck that they own is much more interesting to them as they know it's not rigged. Much better when you load your gaff into their deck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results