The Top Change:-Um...why?

Aug 15, 2017
Hold on...I am not asking 'why' the top change should be perfected and used... I am asking...

In RRTCM, they have said to keep the index finger at the outer longer edge of the deck instead of the normal dealer's grip to prevent 'overlapping'...what sort of overlapping?

Also, are we supposed to push over the top card of the deck as soon as the right hand begins its swing to the left OR when the right hand is really close to the left hand?

Also, do I understand correctly that since a top change is an ''off-beat sleight'', it need not be as perfect as say, a DL?
Not gonna use it as an excuse...just curious.

Aug 15, 2017
Also also also...is it really that much of a sin in a double change to pull back the card to be changed with thumb?

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Hey,

The term "outer end" is used to describe this particular finger placement not "outer long end" meaning, this would appear to be normal dealers grip. The reference to overlapping is two part I believe although is left fairly vague.

firstly, the cards never align during the change. they are not squared together at any point during the change and;

Secondly, the card cannot protrude from the outer end during its placement. (at least thats my interpretation)

As for the off beat sleight they mean it is to be done nonchalantly, not whilst being watch and where purposeful misdirection is implemented to draw the attention away from the hands. The use of the thumb to draw the card back applies here in that it the first knuckles of the thumb 'flashes' if you do this. The thumb should appear to be still.

Lastly, the card should be pushed off as the hands begin to come together. Not as they begin to touch but as the right and left begin moving toward each other or as RRTCM describes 'move the right hand to the left' either works.

Hope this helps.

B.

Reactions: Lord Magic

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
The top change is in the first volume of card college and is a very well written resource.

I would argue that for something as simple as the technique behind the top change the RRTCM will suffice but with most sleights having multiple perspectives of the sleight can certainly help to find a variation or handling that works better for you.

B.

Aug 15, 2017
Should we change the grip of the card when doing the sleight tho?
I mean, RRTCM says that in the beginning the card is held between the middle finger and thumb. But at the end (after the change) if I follow all its instructions really well, the card gets held in between index finger and thumb.

Isn't that negative? For the sleight at least?
Must the grip change?

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Should we change the grip of the card when doing the sleight tho?
I mean, RRTCM says that in the beginning the card is held between the middle finger and thumb. But at the end (after the change) if I follow all its instructions really well, the card gets held in between index finger and thumb.

Isn't that negative? For the sleight at least?
Must the grip change?
I think it's the other way around, at least in Encyclopedia of Card Magic IIRC, but either way that's the main difference in the card college version - it maintains the same grip before and after the change.

Also, Shin Lim has some good advice on his YouTube channel.

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I personally don't change fingers during the move. I find using the index and thumb works fine although others may find it easier switching digits!

Remember with most sleights, particularly those designed not to be seen that it's often a feel thing rather than a rule that must be followed.

Once you understand the core principals behind it you can adapt them for your hands or your particular approach.

Thats is of course as long as it still achieves it's intended conclusion.

B.

Aug 15, 2017
I think it's the other way around, at least in Encyclopedia of Card Magic IIRC, but either way that's the main difference in the card college version - it maintains the same grip before and after the change.

Also, Shin Lim has some good advice on his YouTube channel.
Yeah, I saw his video...
And that's where the question came from :)

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Yeah, I saw his video...
And that's where the question came from :)
I've started using something that is in between the Giobbi and the Shin Lim method after learning all of the others. Who knows, I may go back to the Giobbi method. It is probably the cleanest, but if they aren't watching then so what? If you don't have card college then watch what Lim is doing. These appear to be the modern techniques. I liked his advice on timing etc. too.

Aug 15, 2017
Does the card for the top change need to be pushed off sideways or downwards or 'it doesn't matter-do what you feel comfortable with'?

PS:-Thanks...the help I'm getting here is really top-notch.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Does the card for the top change need to be pushed off sideways or downwards or 'it doesn't matter-do what you feel comfortable with'?

PS:-Thanks...the help I'm getting here is really top-notch.
It depends on what method you are using. I went with your last option.

There is not 'the way' to do a top change. Pick one, learn it and go from there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results