The Worst Show = Hidden Reward

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hi everyone!

I hope you had a great weekend! I wanted to share with you an experience I just had! On Saturday I had the most difficult show I had in recent years…. And the hidden reward from it (no… it’s not experience lol)

I am a profesional ilusionist and most of my work is corporate or public events (like malls) I was recently hired by a new client on another city for a new mall… usually they hire 2 or more shows but since this was a new client it was only one show to see how I work and so so ( I felt she was a little skeptical, but wanted to see how it goes)

I arrived and this is my setup: a very large display as a back ( around 5 meters or 16 ft long and 7 ft high) 2 tables ( one of them a floating table… keep this in mind) and the client hired sound for the show so a couple of big speakers and mics… I was setting everything and then it happened… a big and strong wind and rain

Now since the show is not actually outside the mall but not inside either ( I attached some pictures) the rain doesn’t actually fall on the event… but the wind concentrates and it started to throw everything, the backdrop, the table and you guessed it.. it took the floating table thru the air…

It was a freaking nightmare… all my things rolling on the floor, some cards flying, etc and a balloon for gipsy balloon ( my opener) gone… and the wind was just getting stronger and the backdrop fell on the stage…

I gotta be honest… I was about to cancel the show because of the weather, but it was about 20 minutes to start and the client was nervous af (as frick lol) while she didn’t object to me canceling the show ( she understood why) she also didn’t agreed… but how can I give a show in this hellish conditions? I was about to call it quits because I started to fell rain and the wind bringing the water inside the stage and the I saw it

The people STAYED! and the chairs were full… (I attached pictures) if they can withstand the wind and rain it would be an insult to just dismissed them and cancel.. so I told the client to give me 5 more minutes and I will begin… I took down the backdrop, the tables and just adjust the set to begin with a different routine and just push through the show… it was still windy but around 10 minutes the calm finally arrived… I was able to have a great show, the people enjoyed it and I had a great time.

Now the true reward… it’s not experience because this was an unforeseen problem and it very difficult to be ready for almost everything… no.. the true reward was this one: while I finish the show and was gathering my things, the client comes to me and congratulate me! She was very happy and saw that the people enjoyed the show… immediately ask for quotes for multiple shows for the coming months…

You see.. it’s very difficult to earn a clients trust since it takes time and sometimes more than one show… but this client now had complete trust that I am a professional and no matter what, I will fulfill my duty and while other entertainers would cancel… I adapt and push through!! So now I have multiple shows lined up and a happy client.

Attachments

• E60DDF92-1FB0-4586-9BF4-4A8878F3FA64.jpeg
    E60DDF92-1FB0-4586-9BF4-4A8878F3FA64.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 9C611A1E-06DE-4613-9C28-A07979B6D388.jpeg
    9C611A1E-06DE-4613-9C28-A07979B6D388.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 80
  • A869019A-B231-4533-A9A1-3422BF7F6198.jpeg
    A869019A-B231-4533-A9A1-3422BF7F6198.jpeg
    566.2 KB · Views: 81
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results