Jun 8, 2017
Hello, I've been latelly very interested in the three card monte. Inactually saw a video teaching how the move works. The problem is that the only technique I find is the one told by disturb reality which is very basic. I would like to know what are the variations of this trick and where can I learn them. I admire this video
of Steven Bridges in which he makes an amazing job. Is there a place where I can find similar things?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
The 3 card Monte isn't really a trick. It's a street hustle. It has been adapted into a few tricks.

Check out the color Monte, as Mark suggested, and also go ahead and check out Mont Aces by Jay Sankey. Same principal, Jays takes the color Monte and adds a kicker ending, And makes it a lot more organic.

There is also something I keep saying labeled "David Blaine's 2 card Monte". I'm not sure if it is his own effect or not, if someone knows the original name please let me know! I'm willing to bet it's a Paul Harris effect... but I have no clue.

Jun 8, 2017
Thank you very much I'll check Mont Aces. However, I'd love to ask if there is a book (like expert card technique) in which I can learn secret hustles, because these things really amaze me. Thank you very much for the help.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Don't know if they necessarily know if they count as street hustles, But "Bamboozlers" by Diamond Jim Tyler is perfect for you. They are "The Book(s) of Bankable Bar Betchas, Brain Bogglers, Belly Busters, and Bewitchery". In otherwords, Bar Bets, Puzzles, Party Tricks, and I guess some hustles. Honestly, you could take almost anything and turn it into a hustle or a bet. There are 3 volumes.

You would also probably like the Scam School books by Brain Brushwood. More of the Same, a lot of stuff from his YouTube show if you are familiar with it. There are 2 different volumes.

Reactions: Galaxyor
Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
There is also something I keep saying labeled "David Blaine's 2 card Monte". I'm not sure if it is his own effect or not, if someone knows the original name please let me know! I'm willing to bet it's a Paul Harris effect... but I have no clue.
Blaine's 2 Card Monte is kind of a variation of the classic Traveling Aces. He seems to have adapted it so that he never shows 4 cards as the Traveling Aces does but rather just the 2 cards, which makes it seem like the other 2 come out of nowhere. This of course is my take on the effect itself (the method is obviously different because of the variation). If there was an effect exactly like his aside from that, I haven't found it yet.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey

It is Eddie Fechter's "Be Honest, What Is It" in The Magic of Eddie Fechter by Jerry Mentzer (1974).

Jul 26, 2016
Galaxyor, the 3 Card Monte has been my favorite card routine for many years. The other members here have made good suggestions for you. My personal recommendation is an unbelievably great book called, "Notes on Three Card Monte." I give it a 10 out of 10 rating. It is filled with all the great 3 card monte moves and hustles, and also gives the fascinating history of the game. I promise you that if you get this book you will be absolutely thrilled, you will enjoy it immensely, and by studying it, you will become very skilled at performing the 3 Card Monte.

Here is one place I found where you can get it for a very reasonable price:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S3399

Jun 8, 2017
Galaxyor, the 3 Card Monte has been my favorite card routine for many years. The other members here have made good suggestions for you. My personal recommendation is an unbelievably great book called, "Notes on Three Card Monte." I give it a 10 out of 10 rating. It is filled with all the great 3 card monte moves and hustles, and also gives the fascinating history of the game. I promise you that if you get this book you will be absolutely thrilled, you will enjoy it immensely, and by studying it, you will become very skilled at performing the 3 Card Monte.

Here is one place I found where you can get it for a very reasonable price:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S3399
Thank you this is what I was searching for. I'll buy it as fast as I can!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I just looked it up and man that was it! Not even a variation but exactly it. Good research there.

Much of what David Blaine performed is found in old books. His "Here then There" is actually John Scarne's Switchcraft which was published in Frank Garcia's Million Dollar Card Miracles (1972). There are a lot of those effects in the old books - simple but amazing.

On the topic of monte routines, check out Marc DeSouza's Curse of the Rasta.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S16633

The routine is more of Wildcard routine with a Monte presentation, but I love the presentation. It is in Marc's Art of Artifice lecture notes, his Master Works of Conjuring #3 DVD and in Peter Duffy's Card Magic USA (which has a lot of great material in there for the price).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results