Thumb pain after Cardistry practice(Beginner) HELP

Aug 24, 2014
Okay, let?s sum this up! I started practicing Cardistry 13 days ago, or maybe 12 since the first thing I wanted to learn was the Riffle Shuffle. I spent like 2-4 hours practicing the Riffle Shuffle until my thumb and index finger hurt like hell. I even had bruises on the top of my index fingers.
I also had a sore thumb for a couple of days, can?t really remember. Then I learned the Charlier cut, Revolution cut and one handed fan with both hands, without major problems. Just some minor muscle soreness. But the huge problem began when I tried the Card Spring with a bit stiff deck, about 7 days ago. I soon as I tried it I could feel pain in my end joint at the thumb(Interphalangeal). And I was dumb enough to continue practicing for a few more attempts. I did it like 15-25 times, and that?s all. I then stopped practicing Card Spring and focused on one handed cuts.

BUT THEN, the pain didn?t get better and I stopped using the cards all together for 3 days or so. And that?s where I am now. The pain has spread from the end joint in the thumb to almost my whole thumb(the pain is not that bad at the moment, just if I do certain grips or push at different parts of the thumb.) And this is in BOTH thumbs/hands! I haven?t even practice the spring with my left hand! I also have pain in my left wrist since this morning after some stretching?

Is it carpal tunnel syndrome? Is it an inflammation? Did the intense riffle shuffle practice cause this? Or was it the not so intense card spring practice?
Have anyone else experienced anything like this?

I?m so annoyed! I finally find a hobby that I really enjoy and then this happens, and it?s my own fault :(
Thanks for your help!

Jun 29, 2014
Don't worry if you are a beginner:)
it's normal and also i when i started years ago i had your problem
so don't give up:) bye bye

Nov 1, 2007
We are not doctors, but I would say what you're experiencing is totally normal. I have endured terrible pains in my hands and fingers over the years, and I'm sure most flourishers here would say the same.

In all honesty, if you have truly practiced too hard to the point that you've actually injured yourself, you could have tendonitis, which is common in people who use one muscle group too often (gamers, certain musical instruments, so on). But over the years I have practiced quite a bit on some uncomfortable sleights and flourishes and have not encountered a real medical problem - only soreness.

Cameron

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results