Tips for reading?

Sep 7, 2017
Hi! I've been doing magic for about six years. I've read Royal Road and Card College 1 & 2. I tried to read Expert Card Technique, but I find it difficult to read. Are there ways to make reading magic books easier? How should I read it? From beginning to end? Should I open up to a random page and start reading? What do you do?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Pick a chapter, and read through one of the "technique" sections. Read it over a couple times if you need to, then try the move out with a deck (or atleast attempt it), so you actually understand what you're doing. Then move into the actual tricks part. Don't read it like a book, read it like a text book. Grab the important bits of info, and then go back if you need to.

Also, don't overwhelm yourself. 1 or 2 chapters on the day that you read it is probably good enough, unless you feel like you can easily move on.

Hey Ryan.

I see that you have started a new thread about a similar topic you posted before. I assume that instead of posting in your previous thread, you made a new one because you didn't find our tips to be helpful. So let me try again.

The last thing you want to do is to open up a magic book at a random page.

Do read it from beginning to the end, but TAKE YOUR TIME. Be patient. I usually finish a 150 page magic book in about a week. I read maybe one or two sections at a time. The material is not to be learned immediately. If you don't understand it, read it again and again and again. Do not skim. Be patient.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Sep 7, 2017
Pick a chapter, and read through one of the "technique" sections. Read it over a couple times if you need to, then try the move out with a deck (or atleast attempt it), so you actually understand what you're doing. Then move into the actual tricks part. Don't read it like a book, read it like a text book. Grab the important bits of info, and then go back if you need to.

Also, don't overwhelm yourself. 1 or 2 chapters on the day that you read it is probably good enough, unless you feel like you can easily move on.
Hey Ryan.

I see that you have started a new thread about a similar topic you posted before. I assume that instead of posting in your previous thread, you made a new one because you didn't find our tips to be helpful. So let me try again.

The last thing you want to do is to open up a magic book at a random page.

Do read it from beginning to the end, but TAKE YOUR TIME. Be patient. I usually finish a 150 page magic book in about a week. I read maybe one or two sections at a time. The material is not to be learned immediately. If you don't understand it, read it again and again and again. Do not skim. Be patient.
Thanks!

Aug 6, 2017
Hi! I've been doing magic for about six years. I've read Royal Road and Card College 1 & 2. I tried to read Expert Card Technique, but I find it difficult to read. Are there ways to make reading magic books easier? How should I read it? From beginning to end? Should I open up to a random page and start reading? What do you do?
Like the comments above- read slowly. I usually work with a deck next to me instead of reading then doing so if I don't get it I can reread and work on it. Also VaugeTheory said he reads 150 pages in around a week but I have a busy life so I read about 7-10 pages a day which is usually 1 chapter! No matter what speed you read you will get the book done eventually but go at your own pace.

Feb 1, 2017
If it is a sleight, I will look for a DVD download, but won't buy it. Since you're reading the method, the trailer for the move is all you need to help you visualize what it is suppose to look like. From there you work on your technique until you reach mechanical perfection.

Google or a dictionary is also very useful when reading older texts. Keep at it. Go slow if you have to. Read each sentence carefully. It was confusing for me at first, but after a while you get used to the language. Take notes and use bookmarks. You never know when you'll want to refer back to things you've read/learned.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Expert Card Technique is a difficult read. Did you find Card College easier?

I find that the older books almost tedious to read. Card College is great (the best at what it does), but it does have a textbook feel to it. However, when you find a well written magic book it, you can't put it down. I love the Miracle Factory books on Benson and Gardner. I love Tommy Wonder's Books of Wonder. Anything by Stephen Minch, Richard Kauffman, Andi Gladwin and other modern authors are excellent. Books I've recently have read, are reading or have on my "up next" pile include Aretolgy of Vanni Bossi, Drawing Room Deceptions, CardShark, Lessons in Card Mastery, David Regal's Approaching Magic and Handsome Jack.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results