Tips On Creationg Magic

May 3, 2008
I've been spending way too much on magic and have gone completely broke so I've decided I need to create my own effects. I, however, have no idea where to start so does anybody have any tips or advice on creating.

P.S.
Please don't refer me to a book or DVD because I AM BROKE!

May 24, 2008
If i were you, i would mess around with cards or coins for hours until u find a problem you want to fix, or come up with a move that u want to find a purpose for etc. etc. just play with your props, get to know them, itll come to u. maybe relax in a hot bath and think of ideas. its fun.

TWB

Aug 23, 2008
I kind of agree with holo. But I think if you want to make tricks, they should be because YOU want to be able to do a certain effect. Not because you just want to make tricks. you know what I'm saying.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just posting my thoughts. :)

Peace out,
TWB

Oct 18, 2008
www.youtube.com
personally

The ways that I have created a couple solid effects in the past is i think of an effect for instance, a sandwich effect, and I think of a way i can make that but make it seem impossible, or think of an idea such as visibly pushing a coin through a table, and try to think of different ways you can achieve it. So in other words...

Think of something impossible
Create a way to do it
work out the problems
you got yourself a trick :)

Just a thought.

Jun 30, 2008
I agree with TWB.

You should be creating tricks for the effect, not because you need more tricks. It's like Eric Mead's introductions to one of the AoA books. He explains how he couldn't create any magic tricks, so he talked to PH and PH asked why he needed to make new tricks, when he could perform old ones. And I doubt anyone would deny that Mead is not a successful magician.

This is a roundabout way to tell you that unless you want a new EFFECT, you really don't need to create new tricks. perfect the ones you already know, and you will be fine.

And when you do get some more money DON'T BUY MOVIES. Movies are like the fast food of magic. They are fast, easy and convinient, but they make you feel like crap later. Think about it. A DVD is worth the same amount as a book, but with MUCH less content. it's a fast and easy way to learn, but it is not cost effective as a magician.

just my $ .02

--zach

May 12, 2009
Try thinking of ideas that fit your style and what you want to accomplish.
Once you decide on what that is, then work on the method. Don't narrow yourself down to just sleights and whatnot. Try to explore other horizons to accomplish what you want to do.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
sell all your tricks that you bought and buy a book.

Try taking the tricks you already know, and putting your own spin on them. Take a trick that uses a pass, and try to supplement a different sleight, and see how it changes the trick, and what you need to change to make the effect the same. Then see what changes you can make to the effect by adding different phases etc...

But seriously, buy a book.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results