TiVo 3.1415926

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Hmmm .... that's not the change you use in the video "Tivo Pi" ... but that's cool ... keep them videos coming.
He didn't ask for the change in the video, he asked for one which mimicked turning over a card and being able to show both sides of it.

- Sean

P.S. Video is processing now, just need to add some little titles to it. :)

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Okay so before I post up the video let me just explain a few things, go with me ;)

First off, thanks for taking part in this, it's been really interesting to see the responses that have been posted. (If you withheld a response please be sure to let me know some other way I'd appreciate it)

Second of all, yes... I lied, this was an experiment. Inspired by Steerpike's thread about lying to our audiences, I figured I'd do something I'd been wanting to do to you guys for a long time. So I set out to film a video of a visual transpo and then proceeded to lie through my teeth about the possible methodology behind it all. Why? To help prove points that I think all too often just get blown over.

1) Magicians care far too much about the method, rather than how the effect looks to a spectator

2) You all complain about hecklers, and yet you guys are the worst hecklers out there. Some of the things you guys said, would you appreciate having said to you, regardless of whether it was true or not?

3) You hate, with some strong passion I must say, being deceieved and yet this is what part of magic is all about. (though some of you think it's everything)

Which means that you're just in it for the power trip, to feel above those that don't know how it's done. Somehow it makes the effect more awesome, if you have a methodology that is super clean and is impromptu all the time. I say this because if it wasn't anything to do with any of what I just said, you wouldn't have picked apart my trick in the way that you did...

... And what else did I do? I gave you limitations that the lay-populus already have. And BOY did you guys not like that huh?

There are other points, but I can't express them as well as others perhaps can.

Anyway I promised a video, and the reason I didn't post it first was because my point would've been lost otherwise... So please, if you haven't read what I've just posted now, don't watch the video.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m6l0ffd9z_M

Thanks for playing,
- Sean

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I agree with Sean, especially on his first point. I find this is true especially with color changes.

People spend months on their life trying to perfect the clipshift. Well i got the clipshift down pat so one day i did an experiment at school. For one crowd, i performed a trick with the clipshift color change. It got good reactions. Then to another crowd, i did the same trick, but with an erdnase change. Guess what? The reactions were the same!

So my point is, you dont need the most difficult and cleanest way to do an effect, it's all about the spectator and what they think is good. If they think and Erdnase change is just as good as the clipshift, why spend 8 months on perfecting the clipshift when you can learn an erdnase change in 1 week?

there are four real forms of "magicians":

The performers

the creators

The move monkeys

the youtube magician

The Performers

The performers are the artists that go by the creed that "simplicity is best". they are the artists who learn the erdanse instead of the clipshift. They only use a few moves and routines, because they are focus on Presentation. There is an exception, artists that perform for other artists. but they are most likely in the next category

The Creators

The creators are the ones that use their own slieghts. They most likely perform for magicians and spectators, some more than others. They make their own routines. You might consider a creator one who creates presentations also.

The Move Monkeys

These artists are the ones that practice sleights already in existance. They love magicial masturbation. they are ones who learn the clipshift, cherry control, superman change, anti faro, etc. They also are creators of routines sometimes. Personally i respect this form of artists the most. You could consider Xcm peeps move monkeys.

The Youtube Magicians

These are magicians that are most likely nOObs who have little or nothing to do with the magic world. They only know the next "hottest" thing in magic. They help to destroy magic.

How does this tie into the "experiment"? the magicians that critique method are most likely creators or move monkeys. Ones who are big on presentation are most likely performers, and ones who do nothing but worthless critism are... youguessed the tubers.

just my 3 cents.
peace.
-andy.

Jan 4, 2009
We dont mind the method the thing is why would you lie to people? ... You already gave your reasons so that's good. Is the new video supposed to be the no gaffs, no doubles, version?

As said before I dont mind the method but we all know to do this trick with a regular, legit deck is almost impossible ... I like the idea tho.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
We dont mind the method the thing is why would you lie to people? ... You already gave your reasons so that's good. Is the new video supposed to be the no gaffs, no doubles, version?

As said before I dont mind the method but we all know to do this trick with a regular, legit deck is almost impossible ... I like the idea tho.
Behold! Someone who didn't read and understand my post properly; go read it again.

- Sean

Jan 4, 2009
Behold! Someone who didn't read and understand my post properly; go read it again.

- Sean

I read the post, but I dont understand the part that says "Anyway I promised a video, and the reason I didn't post it first was because my point would've been lost otherwise... So please, if you haven't read what I've just posted now, don't watch the video."

Can you please explain?

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I read the post, but I dont understand the part that says "Anyway I promised a video, and the reason I didn't post it first was because my point would've been lost otherwise... So please, if you haven't read what I've just posted now, don't watch the video."

Can you please explain?

Even though this whole thread was an experiment...Sean still promised you guys a working version of J.A.F.T. Seeing as how he didn't wanna disappoint, he posted a workable version of his transpo.

He didn't post it to begin with because, well...then the entire point of his little experiment would have been lost to people saying "Thats cool." Instead of people commenting about how he lied to everyone.

-ThrallMind

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results