TnR by Mathieu Bich Review

Sep 1, 2007
Thats funny you'd say that Eddie. I showed my sister the trailer, and she said "there probably just glued together"

That's because you haven't showed them the effect. They might think it's video editing tricks/camera tricks, but what about when it happens before their very eyes? They might think it's glued together, but what about when you hand out the restored card for them to inspect?

That being said, is anyone else having as much trouble constructing the gimmick as I am? EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed it. I found out that using one 'kind' of thing works best for one part, and once I used that, all my troubles were solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
Newton, MA
One, why are you showing a demo to a friend? If you got the effect it would make it so you could not perform it. Don't go around showing laymen magic demos...I just don't think it is right.

Second, I don't think anyone has performed it yet, or at least they shouldn't have. It just came out, it takes a while to get any effect down, especially a T&R routine.

I love the effect by the way!

Adam

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Ok, another post about the "set up" and "readily available materials," I am only asking this because, well, of my location.

Are these "readily available " materials for the set up available readily in Japan? You would be surprised as to what is hard if not impossible to find here, for example, a run the mill ol regular black sharpie.... I show people a sharpie here that I brought from the states, and they are convinced its some magical pen that changes the card... /sigh

Sep 15, 2007
Tnr

The materials should be readily available all over.
You can do this pretty much 3/4 surrounded.
It has a set up that is a little more involved than Wagners torn and restored or Garcia's but it ends with hands clean.
Well done Chris well done.
I have perforemed it not long after learning it ...it went well.
Snorri

Aug 31, 2007
Newton, MA
I have perforemed it not long after learning it ...it went well.
Snorri

That is what I am talking about, please take some more time to go over it...I find it hard to believe you have perfected it in this short of a time. I just hate to see effects ruined from being rushed. Even if the trick is self working (this is not...) presentation and such still need to be practiced over and over.

Adam

Sep 1, 2007
Just something that occured to me...

After you restored the card, the card won't be perfectly matched up, as seen in the preview and mentioned by some of the forum members here. Then to clean up, you do a switch with a creased up duplicate, which is going to have perfectly aligned sides. Wouldn't observant specatators notice it? They'd think- hey, I just saw the restored card to be not perfectly aligned with a little of the edge sticking out, but when he gave it to me its suddenly all lined up! There must be two cards!

Correct me if I'm wrong..but just something I thought about..

C

clarrus

Just something that occured to me...

After you restored the card, the card won't be perfectly matched up, as seen in the preview and mentioned by some of the forum members here. Then to clean up, you do a switch with a creased up duplicate, which is going to have perfectly aligned sides. Wouldn't observant specatators notice it? They'd think- hey, I just saw the restored card to be not perfectly aligned with a little of the edge sticking out, but when he gave it to me its suddenly all lined up! There must be two cards!

Correct me if I'm wrong..but just something I thought about..

That would be a performance/routine issue. Obviously if you hold it very close to them and say inspect it real hard before I make this hand motion, then it will be discovered. When I look at my card after i'm done with everthing, I get fooled myself because it looks so good. If it fools me, then it's gotta fool them.

Sep 1, 2007
Thanks for answering, but I think I'm gonna stick with Torn. Signed, no tedius setup, natural tearing, and more elegant handling.

C

clarrus

Thanks for answering, but I think I'm gonna stick with Torn. Signed, no tedius setup, natural tearing, and more elegant handling.

Just think of this as another TNR routine that you could pull out of the air in any moment as long as you have your gimmick. You do different TNR methods and people will NOT be able to guess that you are using sleights and tricks or it will keep them guessing. I'm sure you will be in a situation one day where you will be able to perform it and make them cry with shame because you fooled them so bad.

Like any other trick, you have to decide when to do it and when not to.

Sep 1, 2007
Just think of this as another TNR routine that you could pull out of the air in any moment as long as you have your gimmick. You do different TNR methods and people will NOT be able to guess that you are using sleights and tricks or it will keep them guessing. I'm sure you will be in a situation one day where you will be able to perform it and make them cry with shame because you fooled them so bad.

Like any other trick, you have to decide when to do it and when not to.

Yes, very true..
I'll see if my budget can afford it first though, as I had my eyes on Panic for a long time.

By the way, regarding the gimmick, does it have to be carried around with care? Like for example, will it last if i carry it around in my pant pockets?

C

clarrus

Yes, very true..
I'll see if my budget can afford it first though, as I had my eyes on Panic for a long time.

By the way, regarding the gimmick, does it have to be carried around with care? Like for example, will it last if i carry it around in my pant pockets?

You don't need a glass case for it but it should be taken care of. A ziploc bag to carry it in should work. It's not gonna be hard to take out of and you can do that in your coat pocket or bag if need to.

meauxfeaux

Elite Member
Sep 8, 2007
Very creative piece of work from Mathieu. I like this a lot, though I don't anticipate doing it much, if at all, informally. I'll reserve this one for close-up shows and on-camera performances.
Guy Hollingworth's "The Reformation" will remain my "on-the-fly" torn and restored card routine. Still the best after all these years.

p.s. Regarding storage for the gimmick, I find it best to leave it in the restored position (as it would be at the end of the trick), in the box on top of the rest of the deck.

Addendum: Having now performed this for someone, I can confirm that it likely works best (at least, for me) within the context of a show. The tearing of the "wrong" card is very methodical and certainly begs for justification. I think a humorous approach to the whole thing could make it work well, but it does strike me as a situation in which the method informed the construction of the routine, as opposed to the other way 'round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 16, 2007
www.youtube.com
I performed this over the weekend to nonmagicians and magician friends. It killed both groups alike. What really gets them is not only the ultra clean restoring phase! They also get to hold the torn pieces. And they see the piece they give you being restored. In other torn and restored effects, you can NOT hand out the torn pieces.
I'm using my own clean up at the end. So far, it's working pretty well.

Sep 3, 2007
Like one of the other posters wrote, to me it just looks like its being glued together. I'm not speculating, but I do think torn and restored cards look more deceptive if the pieces actually fit...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results