TNR - Mathieu Bich

Dec 8, 2007
Hello all, this is my first review, so please bear with me as I flex my reviewing muscles for the first time. If I insult anybody through my words, I'm terribly sorry, I had no intention of doing so, unless you deserve it, and I specifically call you out on it.

A little on the format of this review and all my future reviews. Firstly, I won't assign any numerical values to the quality of the product(s), why? Because as far as I'm concerned it is retarded to assign one numerical value to a product. Secondly, there will be two parts to this review. The facts, wherein I will write as objectively as possible about the product, stating (hopefully) only undeniable facts. And my opinion, wherein I will write what I personally think about the product.

Anyway, on to the review!

Facts:

The production quality of this video was exceptionally high, (I purchased the download version).
The instructions given where done in a professional manner, illustrating the points clearly.
A gimmick is required for this trick.
You have to make your own gimmick.
The effect appears clean (as evidenced by the preview videos).
There is a 'surprise' ending that does not have to be used.
You can't do this trick surrounded, ever.
Majority of the video is about constructing the gimmick

Opinion:

You don't end clean with this trick, you end nearly clean, really darn close. On the plus side, with the tiniest of effort, you can clean up instantly.

The gimmick isn't hard to create, and definitely worth the time and effort. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to mention this, feel free to edit if this must be removed: You don't HAVE to use a face card for the gimmick, and with a little more time and effort, can use any card to create the gimmick (bear in mind I used bicycle ghosts and a blue fan backed tally-ho for my gimmicks).

This trick can be done completely 100% impromptu, as long as you've made the gimmick and have it on you. The set up can be done on the fly depending on how you present this effect.

Even if you won't use this trick, I'd recommend you buy this anyway. Simply because it opens up a world of possibilities by providing you with a step by step guide to creating a gimmick, providing a springboard for you into creating your own gimmicks.

Final Thoughts:
So far I've read one review that complains about how the card that is torn has to be torn perfectly, and this slows down the pace of your magic. This is true. However, one solution I've come up with immediately after watching this video is to perform David Ren Jenkin's Warp One (here) as an opener, and piece it back together.

I also recommend you purchase Daniel Garcia's Torn. It is also a great torn and restored effect, and in addition, there are a lot of great performance suggestions in that dvd that can be applied to this effect.

Anyway, I hope you find this review useful...

Thanks,
Mino

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results