TnR

Dec 5, 2007
Hello everyone.

I have been looking at TNR for a while and iv read some reviews of it. Some reviews says its great, and some says its not so great becaus the clean up is horrible and so on.

So can someone that has some experience with it tell me thats good and Bad about it?

Dec 13, 2007
I LOVE the effect

However... its nowhere near impromptu, its not very practical, and I WILL PROBABLY NEVER PERFORM IT. Don't get me wrong, I love the effect and its ingenious but if your into street magic or something then I wouldn't get this...

I would highly recommend getting torn... impromptu, fairly visual, and gets great reactions.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Hey dude, let me tell you of my personal experience with it. I'll give you the straight up jiffy on it yo'.

When I first found out how the effect was done I couldn't stop laughing. It's absolute outright genius. I'd heard it was gimmicked and I couldn't imagine how on earth it could be possible, gimmicked or not. Nevertheless Mathieu Bich has done it and made it relatively easy.

The routine/effect itself can be very powerful but it DEMANDS presentation put into it the whole way through - remember tearing and restoring a card, whilst magical, isn't the most fun thing to just sit and watch each piece get restored. In saying this however, I think this is what makes this TnR unique and powerful the fact that the card changes, very fairly, brings that shock factor back into it.

Personally I love it and I regret not using it as much as I think I probably should.

It has been stated and it is a huge downside - It's not as impromptu as some would prefer and it's VERY angle sensitive. These can of course be combated with proper audience management (but who bothers with that anymore? :rolleyes:) Some show utter horror in this effect - It's Stupid! - I would NEVER use this! - It's too impractical!. What do I say to those people? Stop being so damn lazy and think about what you as yourself as a magician can present this as any other Torn'n'Restored.

I've performed this twice in total and both times have garnered the most bewildered of reactions. The fact that the card changes - even though THEY'VE been holding onto the pieces is beyond anything they could've expected. I mean really... think about what you're doing here. Seriously, forget method, forget gimmick, forget everything except for what the spectator sees - You have a VERY powerful piece of magic in your hands, no?

Thing is today, people don't like putting time and effort into making an effect their own, so much to the point that no-one recognizes the effect in the first place, that if they don't like it at face value the whole thing suddenly becomes the most stupid thing on the planet - bar the glaring yellow fashion deck.

That's just my point of view on things. All in all, if you want something that could probably boost your reputation to a high degree and don't mind putting in the work that the effect deserves then you should get this - But ONLY if you like the Torn and Restored plot. If you want a neat little Torn and Restored that's easy to do, practical and you barely have to do anything but practice and present then maybe you would be better off with another T&R.

I'm not saying this is the best T&R in the world (Personally I think Guy Hollingworth's and Chris Kenner's are really good - Although the Holy Grail sounds and looks REEEEEALLY good), but I am saying that it's a powerful piece of magic for anyone to witness.

Anyways, enough of my talk. I'd love to hear other folks' points of view.

- Sean

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Advice

i would never perform it either also i figured out how to do it before i got the trick and was hoping it was a different method because i did not like mine my advise stay away from and tnr and use some truly overlooked gimmicks loops,swamis, and the most powerful one of all the thumb tip.

PS if you would like to be a master a tt magic check out Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic available at penguin magic.

Dec 5, 2007
I seen alot of people saying that its impractical, but not whats impractical. Can someone tell me what is so impractical about this?

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
In saying this however, I think this is what makes this TnR unique and powerful the fact that the card changes, very fairly, brings that shock factor back into it.
The fact that the card changes - even though THEY'VE been holding onto the pieces is beyond anything they could've expected. I mean really... think about what you're doing here. Seriously, forget method, forget gimmick, forget everything except for what the spectator sees - You have a VERY powerful piece of magic in your hands, no?

I don't own this personally, but I've seen a live performance and I am familiar with the method.

I think, that the idea of card changing SUCKS. Imagine, you tear up a card, and restore it, and when you show it's face, it's indifferent card. It is visible that it is not the same card, so the card was not restored at all. Effect is that pieces af a card turn into another whole card, if you get what I mean.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I don't own this personally, but I've seen a live performance and I am familiar with the method.

I think, that the idea of card changing SUCKS. Imagine, you tear up a card, and restore it, and when you show it's face, it's indifferent card. It is visible that it is not the same card, so the card was not restored at all. Effect is that pieces af a card turn into another whole card, if you get what I mean.

Each to their own I guess, all I would say is that, yes it isn't the same card - BUT they visually get to see the back of the card restored, you make a point of the fact that it's been restored, that's one; THEN you go one step further and change the card two climaxes if you will - Sure not everyone is going to like this idea because it screams foul play to them or what have you.

What I would say to that is you don't have to have the card change, you could quite easily make it just a torn and restored card; VERY easily. But for me personally I love colour changes anyway and the idea of a torn, restored and changed/transposed is fantastic.

- Sean

Sep 2, 2007
As Sean stated, the change does not need to occur -- it can be optional.

I prefer the fact that the restored card can change into another card. With the change, you can have a spectator choose a card, and then you "accidentally" find an indifferent card. You, then, rip up the indifferent card, restore it using TnR, and when the card is revealed, it turns into the selected card. The change is so unexpected for audiences -- and so clean -- that it is simply amazing.

Of course, to each his own, but there are some beneficial -- and mind-blowing -- facets to the change, which you can choose or choose not to execute.

Cheers,
JTM

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I don't quite agree with your arguement, however, I do agree that the idea of restoring the card and then showing it change is rather stupid.

My reason is because it gives somone a belief that you could have been using two cards, and like Wayne Houchin said, when spectators come up with a method on how they think they do it, no matter how ridiculous it is, they will stick to it. Also, when you have to explain to them step by step to explain how there method is out of this world, you just killed the effect.

Dec 5, 2007
Thank you guys.

But i really love the idea of the card change.

So my question is more, what didnt you like with the method, clean up etc?

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I don't know why a lot of people keep saying you need 4 or 5 cards to make the gimmick :confused: I used 2 and it worked just fine.

The one thing I don't like about the method is how long it originally takes to tear up the card because it has to be quite precise --granted not a huge factor but it really helps--, in saying this however there are ways around it discussed here on the forums actually.

The clean up I don't think is too hard... Yes you end VERY VERY VERY dirty. But, all you need to do is move onto something else "Here pick a card, I won't look" *turn around ditch gimmick* Or just pack everything away if it's your closer.

:)

- Sean

Dec 5, 2007
Can someone tell me about the clean up without exposing anything? iv heard alot of people saying that the switch is really bad?

The way i was thinking of doing it were to restore the card, and if they said they wanted to inspect the card i would say it was stil fragile and put it back on the deck or something and produce some smoke on it and then hand it out, would that be possible?

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Can someone tell me about the clean up without exposing anything? iv heard alot of people saying that the switch is really bad?

The way i was thinking of doing it were to restore the card, and if they said they wanted to inspect the card i would say it was stil fragile and put it back on the deck or something and produce some smoke on it and then hand it out, would that be possible?

Entirely possible. :) In fact, imagine doing that in their hands. ;)

- Sean

Feb 14, 2008
New Engalnd
Reincardination is a great trick, i didn't buy it. But i made up a effect (that i thought i made) then it turns out it was reincardination, since i was showing my friend the effect (on a webcam) and he said it looks just like reincardination. It's a great trick though. I don't like the idea of the card TNR then changes. Sorry.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results