Tore up, from the floor up!

Mar 29, 2008
Sorry I am not smart enough to understand your brillance - thank you for posting. I guess I have a hard time reading unorganized banter...I will read and re-read your words until I get it...and when I do I will PM you. Good luck with your magic Huruey, as I am sure your magic is far more enjoyable than your posts have been...or at least more organized.

Never forget: "Generally, when magic is done properly, the spectator is 100% convinced of what they saw anyway, regardless of how convincing the method was."

By the way...my favourite shape is a circle...both in effect and logic.

Later

Feb 28, 2008
Wow... this forum got off topic. I actually saw Glenn at KOM the other day right before this whole thing kind of blew up.

I haven't had the patience to really go through all the arguments, but from what I've read it seems like you guys kind of are saying the same things, but it's just little words that are keeping you on opposing sides.

Anyways... back to T&Rs in general, I really wonder about it now. Why does a magician tear a card just to put it back together? Is there one where each piece can be examined after the tear? Is there one where the spectator can actually make the tear?

We've kind of outlined what makes a great T&R in ones we've seen - restoring the face, having a signature... but what could be done to add upon what is?

Mar 29, 2008
Even though this forum is about method - we can talk presentation briefly, and I have in the past with many - there are many reasons one could rip up a card, to put it back together...none I am willing to share on this forum.

Good points Rmana, but I don't understand thet importance of having the spectator involved - afterall, I don't find it important to allow the spectator to examine rings before they link (not that I do that effect) nor do I think it important to allow them to examine a piece of torn newspaper when it is ripped (I do this effect). However, I understand what you are getting at.

So, I wish their was less cover sometimes - which is the one strength in "Torn" in the first two phases that "Reformation" doesn't share. It looks like it touches...and it's back. I thing of beauty, however, my argument is that those phases are not worth the trade off in what is lost in the points I wrote about.

Some people think taking the creases out is essential - to complete the restoration - I don't believe that, as the card has no longer been magic'd - but I do believe it would be a great option...especially for some of the ideas that this effect can be used with.

Not sure if I could add anything, as I find Reformation complete is many ways - although I do hate the thickness of the folded up card.

Cheers.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Why does a magician tear a card just to put it back together?

Why does a magician lose a card, only to find it again? Why does a magician put a card in the middle, just to show it on top a second later? None of magic has a real "reason" to it... it's just awesome, and there for the spectator to enjoy.

Mar 29, 2008
Reason can be found though - and real reasons...at least real logic - it could be a metaphor, a story, a challenge, a demonstration of skill or an educational lesson...magic can be what you make it. If you make it just a trick, or just neat - that is fine - but I hate when people ask WHY? Why are we here on earth? Isn't that more important a question. Nobody asks how many brush strokes it took to paint the Mona Lisa - it's just neat as well - but it has it's reasons for existing. The artist knows the why - in plays we learn the whys - but it is up to us (the audience) to interpret why...or us (the magician) to share why....and sometimes...adjones...it's just awesome, and there for the sepctator to enjoy...and that is magic.

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
So, how about those torn and restored cards?

There's a new one coming from Cameron Francis called Rehab, and, although it does not seem to add much in the way of the majority of the handling, there is a nice idea going on with the last piece that allows for a very clean restoration of it, if done properly.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results