Triad - Bill Goodwin

Jan 28, 2009
This is available from the Dan and Dave site as an on demand download. I've been moved to write a review for this effect purely because if you don't have it, you should get it. This is magic as an art form. It is truly beautiful.

Price - $12 bucks

Expensive for a one on one style video? Absolutely not. This is a feature length effect video, that goes through the 3 stage effect, has thoughts and suggestions and then goes through 2 further effects with a similar concept, as well as a full history of the moves involved and step by step instruction. It's nearly 30 minutes long, and the teaching is significantly better than in a lot of DVDs going for closer to $30 bucks. This is worth the price tag and more, I literally cannot recommend this enough.

What is it?

Stage 1 - A card is freely selected and inserted in the pack. As the magician pulls the card out......its surrounded and sandwiched by the Jacks in the blink of an eye.

Stage 2 - Then another card is selected and put face down out-jogged from the deck, with the jacks spread on top of the pack. With a quick shake, the card has visually appeared between the 2 jacks sandwiched on top of the deck.

Stage 3 - Another card is selected and shown to be in the middle of the pack, completely fairly, face up! With the 2 jacks on top of the deck. With just a shake, the face up card jumps through half the deck and appears between the 2 Jacks and is then shown front and back to be a normal card. This card could conceivably be signed. (With a bit of effort.)

Then 2 further classic sandwich effects are explained involving the magic Jacks. One an absolute classic effect where 2 jacks are put face down on the table, and a card is selected and left face up on the table. The 2 Jacks are then lost into the deck and then the Magician puts the deck down and waves his hand over the selection on the table and it is instantly and visually surrounded by the 2 jacks, sandwiched.

All of this gems together as a nice routine if you give it some thought, and you could of course do it with Queens as a follow up to the Queens, or the effect on Surfaced (the name of which escapes me) with the queens disappearing one by one to sandwich the selection.

Now sure, some of these effects may be recognizable to some, but the teaching is absolutely fantastic. This is beautiful magic. Every move is natural, and absolutely necessary. There is fantastic economy in this effect and literally there is nothing for the spectator to suspect. It can be done slowly. There are no fishy moves to cover at all. The teaching is superb, every single finger movement is explained absolutely clearly and if you've got some experience with cards you'll be up and running with this in a few hours of practice. (Less if you already have the sleights in your repertoire.)

What amazed me about this is how well constructed the routine is. It's perfect. Every stage of the effect has consistent handling, and gets progressively more miraculous as the effect goes on. Every movement you make is natural, necessary just to handle the cards and there's just nothing fishy in it.

Bottom line, for 12 bucks, its worth it if you know the slights involved, and if you don't, its really some of the best teaching of things like an Erdnase break I've come accross in a while, and has concepts that can be used accross all your magic.

Theory11 could learn a bit from D&Ds site on this one! Half an hour of detailed instruction for 12 bucks? Lol. This really is better than a lot of DVDs.

Look it up, this is well worth the money in every respect and is one of the best magic vids I've seen in a loooooong assed time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results