Trick idea / combining trick elements

Feb 17, 2018
Hello all, so I've been sat thinking a lot about trying to create a trick, now it's not something I've just come up with but it takes elements / ideas from a couple tricks that I've taken interest in and wish to learn.

Just a basic overview of my idea uses the story trick (many stories but the same basic moves/premise) and an blank deck (not the invisible deck literally a blank deck of cards)
That can change to a normal deck at the end.

Now i do plan on getting these tricks to learn them in the future so I can figure it out for myself and how I want it to work (i am still fairly new to magic but i want to challenge myself)

As far as using ideas from other tricks what is the etiquette in the way of what can be used or naming who's trick you took the idea from? I.e if it's a minor element of the trick do you have to mention them?

Also what are tips that any of you can offer for creating a trick and the etiquette you use in creating them.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
As far as using ideas from other tricks what is the etiquette in the way of what can be used or naming who's trick you took the idea from? I.e if it's a minor element of the trick do you have to mention them?

I would think that citing anyones work that influenced your trick would be the way to go, minor contribution or not. The devil is in the details so to speak. It can also help differentiate what exactly your contribution to the effect is.

Just a basic overview of my idea uses the story trick (many stories but the same basic moves/premise) and an blank deck (not the invisible deck literally a blank deck of cards)
That can change to a normal deck at the end.

So the effect is a deck that has blank cards changes to a normal deck. There are lots of ways to achieve this effect and not surprisingly, since there are so many ways achieve it, lots of work has already been done here. Not saying it's a bad idea but rather don't be surprised or discouraged if what you create is already in print somewhere. If it is it just means your thinking is in the right area, but maybe not out of the box yet.

Oct 5, 2018
Saint Maries
Yeah, the only way I've heard of this trick being performed is with a backwards fan, but I'm sure there's other ways to do it, like with a svengali-style deck or something like that. Learning the backwards fan might be in your best interest, as I've heard it takes a little practice, and flashes are common. Also, decks such as memento mori and others come with single blank card to execute this move, or you can use the ace of diamonds if you hold your thumb just right. That's all I know.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results