Trick with a coin

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Are you a magician or movie producer?

If you want folks to see "a trick" then show them "a trick" or routine, whatever it is. Don't bore them to sleep with 30 seconds of walking around, music and camera fades.

This is what alienates the older, experienced pros from the younger crowd and what gives companies like T-11, E, Penguin and Paper Crane really negative reputations in the working world of magic. Hell, some folks have even put these same videos complete with the "how to" on forums that focus on film making. NOT COOL!

In the REAL LIVE world of magic you don't have all that camera & editing preface; you have 15-30 seconds to capture your audience's attention and establish yourself. It doesn't have to be magic, you could be a juggler, ventriloquist or whatever BUT, you have that very small window to grab hold of the publics mind and convince them that you are worth their time and hopefully, their money as well. There's not a Carney or street busker around that hasn't had to learn this lesson FAST or else they go hungry. On some levels film has a similar requisite though the window tends to be more like 5-10 minutes, that's about all the typical movie goer will endure when it comes to slow "artsy" pacing.

I know others will argue on these points, but I'm confident I've hit all the nails on the head when it comes to how things actually work in the show biz environment.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'm with Craig on this. In the real world, you better make an impression fast and hook your spectators in the first 30 seconds. I would much rather start seeing your actual magic ability with real footage / interaction with spectators and magic taking place then the film itself.

Sep 26, 2011
Kutna Hora
Why everyone can't imagine magic as a something beautiful? We want to show it cool.

I suppose that magic is not a sport where should be only tricks etc.

I believe that magician should go deeper and surround his art many symbols, many beautiful signs. Craig, we are film producers, you are right.

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
Why everyone can't imagine magic as a something beautiful? We want to show it cool.

I suppose that magic is not a sport where should be only tricks etc.

I believe that magician should go deeper and surround his art many symbols, many beautiful signs. Craig, we are film producers, you are right.

Magic is something beautiful. It should be shown as more than just 'tricks'.

However, the video was extremely slow and it was difficult to see what was happening. I just skipped through it, trying to find where the 'magic' was and couldn't see anything which resembled an effect. Just you holding something over a candle and that was it for the entire video.

Also, be prefacing your post with: 'Check my new trick with a coin!' you're implying it's a coin trick, so you can't blame us for looking for a coin trick in that video.

It's good you're trying to make an 'arty' video, but I just think the video/effect wasn't clear enough and it wasn't as engaging as magic should be. Yes, you can perform a slow, beautiful magic effect, but it has to get the viewers attention and engage them in the magic so they'll want to stick through the effect to the end.

It's great you're making videos like this, they just need a bit of work is all :)

I don't know why you continue to be shocked at peoples reactions. Every video you produce is the same thing. There is no diversity, and that makes it boring. Then when well respected forum members with more years professional experience working as a magician than you've been alive gives you some good advice you get butt hurt over it and defensive. If you would only swallow your pride and listen for once you'd be able to do wonderful things. You are talented, just in need of direction.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results