Tricks & gaff deck, please HELP!

Jan 18, 2011
Hi everyone, first of all i'm not english, so excuse me if my english is not perfect :p
I play magic tricks since I was a baby, but i used to buy lot of stupid games and maybe I just wasted money. Now I really like magic tricks with cards in particular, and I'd like to know how to do them. If you suggest me to buy something like gaff decks or more bycicle decks, i will appreciate the suggestion, but I don't really like "trick decks" (such as svengali deck). So, what I'm ask you is what should I buy to do about every trick that requires regular cards and maybe gimmicked cards, but NOT trick decks. I now have: a regular deck of bycicle red cards and a blue deck called "check to check" (also bycicle, when half the cards are double check, and the other half are regular cards).
I saw a lot of interesting trick performed and explained by mismag822 (thecardtrickteacher) and so now I'd like to have what I need to to that trick (I dont' know, maybe white cards.. gaff decks.. other regular decks...) Thank you!!!!! :D
Please answeeeerrr! D:

Last edited by a moderator:

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
So, we supose you are a beginner, arent you?

I would recommend ULTRAGAFF, by W:H & DG, you can get it HERE if you really want gaffs. You'll perform miracles, and in some of them people wont realize you are using gaffs... THATS THE BEST. Get some blue bikes with it, and if you dont have a lot of imagination get the DVDs too.

One of my favourite gimmicks is RIOT, is really clever and the effect looks great. I've improved it so mine looks even better :D

5x Speed is maybe my favourite effect. You can apply the principle to almost any trick. Highly recommended.

Last, but not least, DRESSCODE can be used as card trick too, is just one of its possibilities. Is a fun effect to perform.

I also HIGHLY recommend DGP: The Daniel Garcia Project. Get all of them, if you can afford it. If not, get 1, 2, 3, 6 and Symphony, or just a couple. Great material. Check it out.

Edit: IF YOU WANT A COMPLETE REVIEW OF THE DGP, CLICK HERE

Jan 11, 2011
If you want to learn some pure slight-of-hand card magic with no trick decks etc., I think the best thing you can do is just start searching through theory11 products. You can browse by cathegory, difficulty level, so just jump to card section, search through tricks marked as 'easy', watch the previews and see what you like. Buy yourself one or two tricks and start practicing. It's a great fun to perform! :)

Jan 18, 2011
thank you so much, but now since I'm just a beginner I would like to focus on regular decks, regular tricks and maybe one gaff (or ultragaff deck) and then I will buy some other stuff.
Because the things I'd like to do the most are: basic and advanced tricks with REGULAR cards; "thecardtrickteacher"'s tricks (which are really great, and for those tricks maybe I require white cards, double check cards and so on); and gaff tricks, which are amazing. But I'd like to use just one deck for all of my "performances" (and since I've just a red bycicle deck which is veeeeeery old, maybe I could buy the bycicle ghost deck with the ghost gaff deck and then just practice). I am really uncertain on what to buy HELP! :S
PS: I know I'm asking a lot of things but since "false cuts" are the basics for doing regular card tricks, could you link me a page where some of those are well explained? Thank you so much :D :D

get static. that is a great trick and i use it whenever i can.
there are many good tricks you can do without gimmicks and i would check out a begginer card book or dvd.
i started with born to perform and the tricks they teach are good enough to start you on your way to card magic.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
Search Dover Publishing and check put the books they have to offer on card magic. My first suggestion would be Royal Road to Card Magic. I think they sell it for around $10. That will teach you false cuts, shuffles and many other sleights that you can use and refine for yourself. The way the book is laid out makes it really easy to learn from. It will teach you a sleight then give you several tricks which utilize that sleight or move. For $10 you're getting tons of sleighs, moves and tricks for less than a DVD or download.

Cheers!

Jan 18, 2011
thank you all for theese suggestions, but I'd like to buy first full decks and then other tricks: so what could i buy? The ghost deck and the gost gaff deck? Or could I buy something else useful?

Feb 4, 2008
I'd say get Royal Road to Card magic and a brick(12) decks of any USPCC mid range cards(Bikes, Tally-ho, Aviator, whatever is relatively cheap in your country) No offence to you but as a beginner you probably won't appreciate the quality difference in a pack of Sentenals. If you live in a country where Bikes sell for $7.00.....well then get the Sentenals or any custom card that strikes your fancy.

Jan 18, 2011
I think I'm gonna take 1 gaff deck, "Royal road to card magic", and some bicycle decks, but just a question since i'm a beginner, is it worth to take 12 deck of cards? I mean, in't that too much? By the way I think I'll follow your suggestion, thank you all!
Ah, another question before I forget it: is it worth to buy the bicycle color collection (9 different colored decks + 2 pads), instead of the brick? How much does a brick cost? And this collection?

Feb 4, 2008
I don't know about that color collection? I recommend getting cards that match whetever gaff deck you have. The ultra Gaff is a nice collection of gaff cards. Probably the best blend of passive(gaffs you don't notice) and active gaffs(gaffs you notice like the 10D 6C mish mash card). You may not need a full brick. Get what you can afford. Beginners tend to beat up cards faster than pros, though RRTCM doesn't have a lot of moves that are particularly tough on cards. Have fun!

Jan 18, 2011
I don't know about that color collection? I recommend getting cards that match whetever gaff deck you have. The ultra Gaff is a nice collection of gaff cards. Probably the best blend of passive(gaffs you don't notice) and active gaffs(gaffs you notice like the 10D 6C mish mash card). You may not need a full brick. Get what you can afford. Beginners tend to beat up cards faster than pros, though RRTCM doesn't have a lot of moves that are particularly tough on cards. Have fun!

I think I'm gonna take: a ultragaff deck (with red back), a shadow master deck (just because the cards are amazing *_*) and then I'm uncertain if I'm gonna take a blue/red brick with 12 decks or the color collection... what should I take?
Another thing, since I think I'm not gonna buy the DVD, is there anyone which has made a tutorial on ultragaff tricks?

May 19, 2010
is it better a gaff deck, an ultragaff deck or a ghost gaff deck? Please answer.
Unless you plan on getting a ghost deck to go with the ghost gaff I don't recommend that. And when you talk about gaff deck are you talking about a deck with a load of double backers, blank cards, double blank cards etc. Or the gaff deck from ellusionist?

Jan 18, 2011
Unless you plan on getting a ghost deck to go with the ghost gaff I don't recommend that. And when you talk about gaff deck are you talking about a deck with a load of double backers, blank cards, double blank cards etc. Or the gaff deck from ellusionist?

I talk about Ellusionist gaff deck, so what is the best in your opinion?
PS: I think I'm gonna buy a shadow master deck (because i like it so much), a gaff deck (I still don't know which one I'm gonna take XD), and then some deck to practice with (I don't know If I should take the 12 decks brick (red/blue) or this (color collection by bicycle) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJeD5RmD_I

Jan 18, 2011
I talk about Ellusionist gaff deck, so what is the best in your opinion?
PS: I think I'm gonna buy a shadow master deck (because i like it so much), a gaff deck (I still don't know which one I'm gonna take XD), and then some deck to practice with (I don't know If I should take the 12 decks brick (red/blue) or this (color collection by bicycle) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJeD5RmD_I

If i think about it, it would be stupid tu buy the colour collection, because having 9 different coloured decks would be just useless: I would like to do tricks which requires different coloured cards, but I think there's no need to spend a lot of money in buying the color collection.. is there something like a brick with 12 decks but 3 or 4 colours? For example 3 red 3 blue 3 yellow 3 green?

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
If you really NEED to get a gaff deck, I'd say get ULTRAGAFF. I have the regular gaff and don't care for it much. I saw a friend of mines Ultragaff....wow...that deck is amazing. Get 6 bicycle decks (all of which should correspond to the color gaff you get). Buy one or two sharpies (there is a cool gaffed sharpie on Ellusionist if you want that).

Most importantly - GET ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC. Books are sometimes hard to understand, so if you have the funds, you could get this -http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/r-paul-wilson-on-the-royal-road-to-card-magic-5dvd-boxed-set-p-2266.html

It's the Royal Road taught on DVD. Honestly, I'd skip on the gaffs right now and hit up that DVD, learn as much as you can, get comfortable with a pack of cards and THEN go buy some gaffs if you still want them.

May 19, 2010
If you really NEED to get a gaff deck, I'd say get ULTRAGAFF. I have the regular gaff and don't care for it much. I saw a friend of mines Ultragaff....wow...that deck is amazing. Get 6 bicycle decks (all of which should correspond to the color gaff you get). Buy one or two sharpies (there is a cool gaffed sharpie on Ellusionist if you want that).

Most importantly - GET ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC. Books are sometimes hard to understand, so if you have the funds, you could get this -http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/r-paul-wilson-on-the-royal-road-to-card-magic-5dvd-boxed-set-p-2266.html

It's the Royal Road taught on DVD. Honestly, I'd skip on the gaffs right now and hit up that DVD, learn as much as you can, get comfortable with a pack of cards and THEN go buy some gaffs if you still want them.

I agree with everything said here. Having gaffs is only useful if you have a solid foundation of slights.

Jan 18, 2011
i know how to do sleights, but I think I'm gonna buy royal road to card magic on dvd, but where should I buy 12 bicycle red/blue decks? Here on theory11 they cost about 22dollars :|

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results