Tricks Reviews: Digital Dissolve & Distortion

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
(RE: Digital Dissolve, I know the on-going debate about Digital Dissolve but I'm going to review the effect as a whole without regard to the current debate.)

Digital Dissolve

Description: A copper old english penny and a silver american half dollar are shown - front and back - The silver coin is placed into the spectators (or performers) closed fist and the copper coin rested on the back of the hand leaning on the performers thumb. With a rub, the coin is visually seen to transpose into the silver coin, it is immediately shown front and back. What is left in the spectators hand?... The copper coin they just saw. - Everything is completely examinable at the end of the effect

Difficulty: On a scale of 1-10 (1 being easiest, 10 being hardest) I'd say probably about a 3-4 to get it smooth and performable. Clean up is as easy as performing it, seriously.

Method: Yes, there is a gimmick but don't think it's going to do it all for you ;) the method itself is brilliant. I'm almost completely new to coin magic but this is one of the best coin transposition effects I've seen - And completely examinable too! In Digital Dissolve what you see in the preview is pretty much almost exactly what you get.

The DVD Itself

Performance: First of all we get to see the people Dan peforms to in the preview. (This is the only performance I've yet to see on the DVD but there may be more in easter eggs or something) He starts off by doing a card trick that is similar (if not the same as) to Here then There from Crash Course 1 (And other sources, CC1 is just where I learned from). Then he says he'll slow it down for them, and introduces the coins. He shows them front and back before placing them into the spectators fist and pulling the copper coin out, he then goes into the effect which I assume you already know (being as I have already outlined it here) so I won't go into that. Dan gets GREAT reactions from this and one guy runs off (I don't blame him) and refuses to come back even though the others comfort him: "It's okay!!"

Teaching: Dan White is a very good teacher, he takes you through everything you get, how to use it and then puts it all together. Once taking you through your new toys, he goes on to the core move.

The Core Move: The core move is simple, but is what makes the effect so very nice, I say simple, and it is, but it's going to take some praciticing to get down smooth and natural. There are then two handlings which are taught one with the coins in the spectators hand and one with the coins in your own hand.

Version 1: The first version is great, everything happens in the spectators hand and is just pure magic; the coins are placed in their hand and you pull one out and proceed with the effect. Everything is handed out for examination immediately. The misdirection for your clean up is perfect, absolutely flawless if you know what you're doing with a crowd.

Version 2: This second version happens entirely in your own hands. Dan teaches you the One-Handed Toss, this is a move which displays the two coins at your finger tips, one coin is thrown into your hand which is then closed and turned face down and the other is rested on top such as in Version 1. The effect is continued with as normal. Clean up on this one is slightly harder, I think, and you're going to need a tad more misdirection to get rid of what you need to.

Angles: The only bad angles I can think of for this effect are directly beneath you and to the sides of you if you're not careful. If you can manage an audience well so they get to see the effect from the best possible view, you'll be fine.

Clean-Up: As I've described in both versions, the clean-up is relatively easy but each will require a calculated amount of misdirection. Nothing you can't handle though, I'm sure.

Quality: Great quality, shot in HD. Nothing more I can say, I love the quality of Theory11's videos.

Cost: The cost of this effect is tremendous value for money I think, the quality of the gimmick and DVD is well worth the price.

Overall: 9/10 (10/10 is reserved for real magic)

##DISTORTION REVIEW IS THE NEXT POST DOWN##

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Distortion

Description: A 4 of Diamonds and 6 of Diamonds are displayed, the spectator sandwiches the 6 between their hands - multiple spectators can be used (I'd advise this, the more hands on the card, the less hands to start gettin' grabby). The 4 is shown at the performers fingertips and as the card is waved the pips are visually seen to multiply and move across the card, transforming it into the 6 of Diamonds - The card which is supposed to be in the spectators sandwiched hands. Of course that can only mean one thing... The card in the spectators hands is the 4 of Diamonds, the card they'd just seen. Just like in Digital Dissolve, everything is handed out for examination.

Difficulty: On a scale of 1-10 (1 being easiest, 10 being hardest) I'd say probably about a 6-7 to get it smooth and performable. Clean up is slightly harder if you don't have the proper misdirection, but with practice you'll be able to do it like it was nothing. :)

Method: Yes, there is a gimmick but like in Digital Dissolve, don't think it's going to do it all for you ;). I'm not at all new to card magic, but that being said don't own many delicate gimmicks (only other one being Hovercard - man I need to bring that baby back out). Still, I don't think you can get any more visual than Distortion when it comes to card transposition effects! In Distortion what you see in the preview is exactly what you get, the pips REALLY DO move.

The DVD Itself

Performance: Most (if not all) of us know Wayne and how good he is when performing. There are 4 performances we get to see, 3 of Distortion and 1 of Michael Ammar's Visually Yours. Wayne even gets a $5 (I think) tip from one group!. I won't describe the effect again, because it's basically what I've described in the effect section of this review. (The only reason I did it with Digital Dissolve is because you don't really get the full performance anywhere here, whereas with Distortion, there is an excerpt in the media section which demonstrates the effect as a whole.

Teaching: Wayne is a great teacher, very funny and goes through everything you need to know. He goes through what you get along with the DVD i.e. the gimmick. And then goes on to how to take care of it, and how each one is hand made.

The Gimmick: Whilst waiting for my parcel to arrive I was wondering all the time how the gimmick could work and when I finally took a look I was pretty darned amazed. It's intricate and as has been stated in other reviews is very delicate - less delicate than the hovercard gimmick though. the only problems I can see with the gimmick is certain lighting and backgrounds but you'll know what I mean if you buy it/have already bought it. My gimmick is great, I'm terrified whenever I practice, but I'm getting more and more comfortable now :p

Version 1 - Distortion: This one is the one shown in the excerpt in the media section of the site. It's a 'basic' 2 card transposition, except extremely visual.

Version 2 - Visually Yours: This second version is a contribution to the Distortion DVD from Michael Ammar. In this version, the spectator selects a card and signs the back of it - the performer never looks at this card. After eliminating some cards, the performer decides on the 4 of Diamonds... Close, but no cigar. As the spectator is asked to merely think of their card, the performer slowly waves the card and the pips are seen to move across the card and form into the 6 of Diamonds - The spectators card. The card is handed to the spectator and is seen to contain the signature too, it is given away as a fantastic souvenir and the performer dies a little inside as he/she watches the spectator truntle off into the distant horizon with his card.

BONUS Version 3 - Visual Distortion: The Easter Egg on the DVD, is named by Dana Hocking (I'm sure it took great thinking to come up with the name, nice one Dana). This is a combination of Version 1 and Version 2, as the spectator signs the back of the Six of Diamonds, the performer pulls out the 4 of Diamonds too. The 6 is placed into the card case and held by the spectator, as the 4 is woven about by the performer and - yep you guessed it you clever sod you - the pips move across the card to change into the six the card is then turned over to show that the Spectators Signature is on the back! In the card box? The 4 of Diamonds. All is handed out for examination.

Angles: The only bad angle for this one is... I guess from behind, but even then the gimmick is real hard to see.

Clean-Up: Wayne describes how to clean-up in all 3 versions of this effect, some are easier than others but with practice you'll be fine. The signed versions of this are great for those spectators who say "let me see those cards". "Well how many did you sign?" :eek:

Quality: Great quality, shot in HD. Nothing more I can say, I love the quality of Theory11's videos.

Cost: The cost of this effect is tremendous value for money I think, the quality of the gimmick and DVD is well worth the price.

Overall: 9/10 (10/10 is reserved for real magic)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you've enjoyed reading my reviews, and I hope they've answered any questions that might've been plaguing your mind about these effects. As always, if there are any questions that you feel haven't been answered, feel free to ask away!

- Sean

Oct 21, 2007
I agree with the rating of DD. I swear it's really an amazing affect. Guess what, an 8 year old kid can do this affect, it's so simple. DigitalDissolve, definitly a must have in my opinion.

Sean your review is spot on for Digital Dissolve. well put, this affect is very nice.

Travis R.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results