Tricks with Fire

Jul 22, 2013
California
I commented on Patrick's earlier thread about tricks with water, and I was thinking about tricks that involve fire. I know a few simple ones, but I also recently learned about a chem reaction where any object coated with dish soap will not catch fire. I rubbed a small amount on a paper plate, and it would not light. I was wondering if anyone knows of any tricks in which this reaction (or, technically, non-reaction) would be practical yet powerful. Thanks, folks!

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'd discourage talk about Pyro effects, especially chemical magic. There are a lot of legal issues around this now days and too, far too many younger individuals can get hurt trying experiments based on inaccurate posts and details.

Not to mention working with fire is a pain in the ass due to all the red tape venues put you through. And that's IF they let you do any fire at all!

I've pissed off a few fire Marshall's before with just flash cotton. Trust me... They don't have a sense of humor.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Hey, look, fire.

There's a lot you can do with fire, but before I even consider trying to suggest anything ... what experience do you have with fire? Have you actually worked with it, or do you just think it's a cool idea?

Jul 22, 2013
California
I haven't worked with it from a magic standpoint, but I have been experimenting with it in a controlled area. Seeing how certain materials react with fire, even making a primitive sort of flash paper (not highly recommended haha).

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
But what training do you have? Or are you literally just finding stuff online and trying it out? What safety precautions do you take?

I work with fire a lot. I actually started my performance career as a fire performer. I've seen how easily and quickly it can go very bad.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I would say to avoid it right now,because you have no formal training with and could possibly end up hurting yourself or somebody else.

5UB

Jul 28, 2013
I would not recommend trying to create your own fire magic, however extensively learning someone else's effect to make it your own is probably a good idea, if you are old enough.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results