Trouble with 2 cards showing as 1 on the table

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
hey i recently started to learn some card tricks/card magic, basically i somehow stumbled upon this site and saw some of the reaction videos and thought that it would be cool to know some tricks just to entertain people in whatever setting, especially at parties or other gatherings.

but like the topic says when double lifting cards and place them on a table it looks painfully obvious that theres 2 cards and not 1. especially at the corners, the cards are basically not flat enough to lay perfectly on top of each other. they bend out of shape so a corner reveals that theres 2 cards.

now how do i deal with it?

What cards are you using?

When Double/Triple/Seventeen Lifting I always prefer as new of a deck as I can.

My recommendations would be to firstly use cards without borders, use new cards, and quality cards. Perfect your double lifts aswell, they can take a while to perfect.

And be gentle!

Best of luck

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
2 day old deck of normal playing cards you get in basically any store that sells toys.

without borders sounds like a good idea, saw some black cards in a video. i guess it can definitely help. my cards has white borders so if the cards are like even slightly off its a dead give away since you get a shadowy gray line at the border.

where can i find quality cards?

i live in norway so any US or out of country online shop is a pain to order from though :/

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
searched for some norwegian and scandinavian shops.

100% plastic cards the way to go? the cards i have now says plastic coated so i guess their not as good.

Sep 1, 2007
Hi there,

The majority of card magicians prefer Bicycle brand cards. I don't know if they are available in your country, but you can order them online from the UK or America no problemo. Here's a good online magic store based in the UK:

www.magicbox.uk.com

They stock a wide variety of playing cards suitable for magic. Personally, I prefer Tally Ho brand. 100% plastic cards are ok, but you really should try out one of the brands I mentioned above.

With regards to double cards on the table, this is a common problem. If you are serious about effects involving putting a double down on the table, I strongly recommend that you take a look at David Regal's "Commercial Travellers", found on his "Tricks" DVD's - volume 3. David has an excellent handling of this effect that takes all the heat off the dirty work.

Personally, even several years on I still hesitate to put a double down on the table. If I am going to do this, I'll place it onto an existing pile of cards - thus sidetracking the "spread" problem.

Realistically though, if you are so new to card magic that you are still investigating brands of playing cards, I would suggest stepping back a little to more fundamental sleights.

All the best,
David

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
im pretty new yeah. since i dont really know where to begin, ive checked out basically everything(everything i could find that was free) and noticed how it will be very risky stacking 2 cards and put them on the table, but figured my cards after using them and shuffling them a lot they get a bit bent so the corners gets a bit exposed but when i straighten them up real good and just place them they can pull it off but you dont have time for that while doing a trick.

thanks for the advice

will check out the site.

btw the DVD, is there a good place to order from where i can order several DVDs that teaches basic and intermidiate stuff? im not a big fan of book instructions.

Sep 1, 2007
If you are looking for good DVD reference matieral, I recommend starting with Greg Wilson's "Double Take" DVD; check out the review of this item in the reviews section of this site to see what others think of it. Top quality material from a top quality guy.

I also recommend - on DVD - John Guastaferro's "Brainstorm" vols 1 and 2, although these should definitely be studied after Gregs matieral. John's magic is truely excellent, and he goes in depth on most of the sleights required.

However, it has to be said that a foundation text on card magic is crucial to your development. Card College by Roberto Giobbi is all you'll ever need; others seem to prefer "Royal Road to Card Magic".

I think you can find most of this stuff on the site that I linked.

Cheers,
David

Sep 1, 2007
i'll just give you a straight answer to your question.

obviously as has been said, use cards in good condition.

after that, a tip I saw on magic makers "hot shot color changes" states something along the lines of:

holding the cards at the short ends (say with thumb and middle finger), use one finger(say pointer) to bow the cards outwards.

now, put your pointer finger down on the table, only the middle of the card should be touching the table.

then let go with your fingers, then thumb, keeping your pointer on the middle so it doesnt move.

by keeping it bent it hides the double when you're handling it. keeping pressure on the double the whole time (using the pointer when you put it down) will stop them from spreading apart.

with that finger

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
To be honest, I find that if I drop them instead of just set them down they stay together well and after a few hours practicing your drop to the table it should be pretty invisible.

Sep 1, 2007
Superglue works just great, applied around the very edges of the card.

If you're working impromptu, try earwax. Failing that, there are several other bodily fluids that may work just as well. Something to bear in mind next time you've got a bad cold...

Aug 31, 2007
If you have learnt some flourishes before, you would know that by slightly bowing/bending the cards, they will stay together better.

Similarly, putting 2 cards on the table just needs some bend work. Here's what I do: I hold 2 cards in right hand Biddle Grip and bend them inwards, much like as if I am going to do a spring. Instead of springing it off, I let go of the pressure and releasing my fingers, thus the card drops on the table, sleight bent, but staying together.

To ensure that the audience does not get "itchy fingers" and starts grabbing things on the table, there are some methods I can think of. Darwin Ortiz has this "Crotch Control" or something, where if you put something on the table that's near to your crotch when you are standing up, most people (unless it's children) will not reach to grab it. My personal take on it would be to say, at the beginning, "This is a demonstration of a gambling move, I'm actually going to show and teach you all something, so please don't touch the cards."

I like being direct when I don't want something to be grabbed at.

- harapan. magic!

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Good call on the "teach you something" bit. That would definitely keep sticky hands away from the cards. I've used Crotch Control most of the time tho, lol... I didn't even know someone else had it too. It works for men and women, cause guys won't go grabbing at your junk and girls are too socially embarassed easily. :) "Whoa now, I barely know you!"

Sep 1, 2007
Sneezing on the cards also works to stop those grabby hands. For a really awkward crowd, just blow your nose on that sucker; adhesive and spectator-hand repellant in one!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results