Trying to locate English name and performance video (not reveal) for easy 3-card packet trick bought in Taiwan

Oct 4, 2022
I'm new here and hope I've posted in the right part of the forum where some revealing is allowed. I'm filling the stockings and bought some packet tricks in Taiwan. One is based on three identical cards, one of which has been modified to also show part of a fourth, different card. You display the cards so they see only two identicals and the index of the different one in the middle, flip the stack, ask them to tell you where the different one is (it should be in the middle but isn't). I can give more details but it's such an incredibly simple, basic trick that I imagine it's well known among you all and you can recognize it just from the above scanty description. The problem is that it came with no English instructions, only a link to a video that's all in Chinese. I'd prefer to know the English name of the packet and have a link to a video in English, assuming one exists, to provide on a card included with the packet so that my kids won't wonder how it is that Santa speaks Chinese too, LOL.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
It is a gaffed three card monte routine. I might have instructions from one I bought a long time ago that I can scan. You might be better off just typing something up.

Oct 4, 2022
Thanks! I've already typed up the instructions in English because it's obvious how to use it from watching the Chinese-language video. It's useful to know the name. I'm unclear on whether we're allowed to do any revealing here such as posting a screen capture of the gaff card or a link to a video with a reveal, because on the page https://www.theory11.com/forums/#!#general.1 the first forum section, General Discussion, says "No talk of magic exposure." But the descriptions for the remaining sections including this one do not say that. There is also no easy link to "Forum Rules: Please read before posting" or anything like that, so the setup for the forum is a bit clunky and unclear.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
We don't permit exposure of methods on the forum. Most of the time, we can discuss methods in a way that doesn't expose how to do the effect but gives enough information for others who know the method to respond. Posting a picture of the gaff card or a link to the video would be exposure.

Oct 4, 2022
Ok, thanks! I finally found the rules, but instead of being posted at a high level like the index of forums above the General Discussion Forum section, they were buried in it as a sticky, so a newbie arriving at the forum for the first time who went straight to any other section would never see the rules. I suggest that they or a copy of the link be added one level higher. Also, identification of who the moderators are, e.g. just above or below the Members Online box would be nice, so one can message a mod to ask about something like that.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Also, identification of who the moderators are, e.g. just above or below the Members Online box would be nice, so one can message a mod to ask about something like that.

We used to have "badges", where mine says "Elite Member" it would say "Moderator." When the forum did an upgrade, the Elite badge overwrote the Moderator badge and we weren't able to reverse it.

The T11 Staff who moderate the forms are:
@Lyle Borders
@CaseyRudd

The other moderators (who have varying degrees of presence currently) are:
@RealityOne (me)
@Justin.Morris
@RickEverhart
@DominusDolorum (Andrew)
@obrienmagic (Michael)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results