UK Based Modern/Underground Magicians Wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Hey guys,

Just a quick shout out - I'm looking for slick, modern, underground magicians/flourishers/mindreaders to get in touch for a new monthly clubnight I'm running here in Nottingham, UK; MINDLAPSE :: UNDERGROUND CABARET.

Any other stage based acts will also be considered, so if you can swing knives about or do any other crazy endurance, escapology or whatever else, get in touch! The only condition is that the performers MUST be 18+ as it is a nightclub.

Hit me up on DC@mindlapse.net to chat - it'll be a good opp to get up on stage in front of a couple hundred people, get the name around and earn a few pennies!!

All the best,

DCx

Dec 14, 2007
How do you define 'modern, underground magician?' Is the modern underground magician different from an underground magician of say 20 years ago? Of so, how? If not, why do you use that already used and established name?

Is underground something someone can just call themselves or is there a vetting process or rubric to follow? And as soon as someone identifies themself, do they cease to be 'underground?'

Finally, does an underground magician appling for the gig have to do derivitive tricks with inferior methods with inconsistent or incoherent messages, or is it just a coincidence that most tricks being advertised by 'underground' happen to suffer from these conditions - or is that what keeps them underground.

(Not attacking you or your project, dee, but what seems to be this appropriation and use of the term 'underground'. Perhaps you can offer a valid definition. No one else seems to be able to.)

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
(Not attacking you or your project, dee, but what seems to be this appropriation and use of the term 'underground'. Perhaps you can offer a valid definition. No one else seems to be able to.)

Underground - sounds to me that it's someone who stays in his basement practicing magic all day and never goes out performing.
Edgy name until someone asks, "What do you mean by underground?"

Or perhaps it means performing original tricks that no magician knows of yet that really separates them from any magician they've ever seen.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I guess my interpretation of "underground" is someone who has yet to be discovered by the masses. Perhaps it is someone who has great talent and might be well known in small or private circles. Maybe it is someone who is seeking to take it to the next level, but does not have the necessary tool. Their performance and skills might be up to par, but maybe they just don't have near enough exposure.

I think you are right though in that when someone of this said caliber becomes "known" across the magic community....that maybe they do shed the "undrerground" stereotype.

I don't know. Like I said, that is just my stance on the word "underground".

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
How do you define 'modern, underground magician?' Is the modern underground magician different from an underground magician of say 20 years ago? Of so, how? If not, why do you use that already used and established name?

Hey Guys, It's been a busy day!!

The comma is what makes it there Brad, we're looking for underground talent to showcase, but due to the nature of the venue and target market, they must have a modern style - We're looking for the young, cool, hip looking guys who have acts to suit that style too - Something a bit edgy and that the public won't really have come across before.

That's not to put down classic style magicians, there are lots of guys who are really successful doing silks and doves, but it's not suited to my brief.

Like I say, it's just a shout out to every one on here to see if we can locate some cool new acts to book for the nights later this year.

I think the message on a whole was quite legible, it wasn't put up to be analyzed, just to be read briefly, actioned if of interest, discarded if not.

Let's not turn this into another discussion of people's understandings of particular words or phrases, we'll save that for a rainy day! ;)

I've had a few people get in contact already, so if interested in learning more, just drop me an email.

Cheers guys,

DCx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results