Ulmen?

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
well here's a foot shuffle (not by me - I found it on the Superhandz website):
[Right-Click and save target as]
In the Cradle To Grave DVD De'vo does a better one with a bridge at the end unlike the above video where he just squares it up.

The footshuffles done in the CTG DVD and that video are both done by Jerry Cestkowski, not De'vo. Also, the bridge at the end of the foot shuffle in the CTG DVD was a set up, notice how it cuts away from the shuffle, then back to the bridge? He weaved the cards with his hands first, set them up in bridge position with his feet, then filmed it.

Just thought I should let you know. :)

-Vince

The footshuffles done in the CTG DVD and that video are both done by Jerry Cestkowski, not De'vo. Also, the bridge at the end of the foot shuffle in the CTG DVD was a set up, notice how it cuts away from the shuffle, then back to the bridge? He weaved the cards with his hands first, set them up in bridge position with his feet, then filmed it.

Just thought I should let you know. :)

-Vince

hmm, well that's unfair, why cheat the viewer?

Sep 2, 2007

Also the SSS was taped, and the 30 packet array was formed by 2 people. Then again, it was only for demonstration purposes, not performance. Maybe there's actually a way to get into the bridge-position using your feet, but I'm sure it'd take a bit of effort to get into it. The trials seem to be more about the challenge itself than the performance, maybe it takes 20 seconds or so to get into the weave position, then it might as well be cut off if it's for entertainment-purposes..

Sep 12, 2007

LOL cheat the viewer?? Look at the "cardistry" videos on this site...the majority of them are cut like every 5 seconds. Wouldn't you consider that "cheating the viewer" LOL.

Real skill comes when you can routine for at least a minute without cutting...anybody can do one move/film it/then set up the next move/then film it, etc...then slap some music in there and some flashy transitions and the presto....instant card manipulation master!!

I have no idea what the circumstances were with that video, I imagine that Vinnie is right though. Either way it is hilarious...sort of like Jerry's pic with all the fans...people still ask if that was real lol. I would assume though that he can do the bridge and finish it, maybe not that pretty but knowing Jerry, I'm sure he can do it.

Vinnie C.

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
LOL cheat the viewer?? Look at the "cardistry" videos on this site...the majority of them are cut like every 5 seconds. Wouldn't you consider that "cheating the viewer" LOL.

Nope, because all of those moves are being done as they are advertised as being done. Nothing that aids the performer is being kept secret from the viewer. :)

I would assume though that he can do the bridge and finish it, maybe not that pretty but knowing Jerry, I'm sure he can do it.

I'm not sure. In both of the foot shuffle performances, his shuffles were pretty blocky, it might be hard to bridge that.

-Vince

Sep 12, 2007
Actually Jerry talked about this (foot shuffle) last night on Flashcards (and this very thread)...I think I came in on the tail end of it or had stepped out at that moment. I'll go back and listen when the archive show is up.

As far as the cutting, I agree...I was just pointing out the (this is just my opinion) overuse of the 5 second cutting thing and the fact that the dude thought Jerry was "cheating the viewer" when I and most others know that Jerry has been one of the most forthcoming and available pros out there, always willing to help out....

Oh, I didn't mean to disrespect him in any way and I deeply apologize if I came across as rude or uninformed, jerry is an amazing artist and flourisher and has my utmost respect. It's just, I was personally decieved by the video as I believed the entire shuffle was done with the feet including the bridging.

Once again, I apologize if I came across wrong, but it is a bit decieving, at least it was for me, but it doesn't mean I lost respect for him, as I've seen Jerry's other works and they are great.

Sep 12, 2007
Aaah, ok...think I misunderstood YOU then LOL. That's the tough thing about forums, sometimes it's tough to read a person's tone through just words
.... Although Vinnie seems to be able to project a warm hippie glow about him no matter what he says :D

Sep 1, 2007
I thought Ciappi completed the Ulmen Trials? There was a video on De'vos site with him explaining how difficult they were (But easy for him lol)

Also, why would the Ulmen 4 themselves not be capable of completing the trials... I mean, they made them, I assume they can DO them.

Also, dancedany WTF?!? calm the heck down buddy, and practice what you preach.

my opinion on the ulmen trials is kind of like, well, I guess it'd be cool to train for them, if it pushes you torwards greater creativity, but I don't think that kind of external validation is really necessary as a card artist (i.e. you aren't going to get any gigs simply because "you completed the Ulmen trials", however you will get gigs if you are at a skill level CAPABLE of completing the Ulmen trials)

And I agree the foot shuffle is somewhat esoteric, it probably wouldn't go over well with laymen - taking your shoes and socks off during a performance? Kind of like having a requirement to fit a whole pack of cards in your mouth, or something.

Vinnie C.

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I thought Ciappi completed the Ulmen Trials? There was a video on De'vos site with him explaining how difficult they were (But easy for him lol)

Cerberus is correct. Also, I'm pretty sure Ciappi only completed step one that year.

Also, why would the Ulmen 4 themselves not be capable of completing the trials... I mean, they made them, I assume they can DO them.

De'vo will probably tell you that they have. You could ask him.

Also, dancedany WTF?!? calm the heck down buddy, and practice what you preach.

He seemed pretty calm to me, and while he SHOULD practice what he preaches, he also has a BIT of a point, though De'vo has gotten a bit better about it.

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
oh I agree with you in some ways, but when dance writes

"A grown man that spent 40 years of he's life playing with cards and ,and calls himeself an ARTIST..."

I take cards seriously and I think dancedany does too. It's extremely hypocritical to denigrate someone for taking the art seriously, while at the same time being as actively involved in the cardistry community as dancedany is.

I love dancedany's videos and I think he's one of the most unique artists out there, so I would never say "what a joke he's wasting his life by posting card videos online", since I hope to do the same myself!

that's all I was trying to say.

Vinnie C.

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
oh I agree with you in some ways, but when dance writes

"A grown man that spent 40 years of he's life playing with cards and ,and calls himeself an ARTIST..."

I take cards seriously and I think dancedany does too. It's extremely hypocritical to denigrate someone for taking the art seriously, while at the same time being as actively involved in the cardistry community as dancedany is.

I love dancedany's videos and I think he's one of the most unique artists out there, so I would never say "what a joke he's wasting his life by posting card videos online", since I hope to do the same myself!

that's all I was trying to say.

Oh yes, I agree.

-Vince

Actually Jerry talked about this (foot shuffle) last night on Flashcards (and this very thread)...I think I came in on the tail end of it or had stepped out at that moment. I'll go back and listen when the archive show is up.

Is the archive up?

Question:do you think the ulmen is just a gimmick just to get members for superhandz? just because it's the only way to try and join the ulmen trails.
and if anyone do compete the trail then what? what do you get? a pat on the back?

Sep 2, 2007
No, the ulmen trials are not a gimmick, theres a history to them, superhandz is just sort of "sponsoring" the ulmen trials, kind of helping them out.
If you complete ALL of the challenges (which no one has been able to do since september 2003) then you get a one of a kind medallion and the title of Ulmen master. Probably would look good on your resume also :) :) :).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results