Ultimate ACR

Dec 12, 2010
First off, I don't mean for this to be offensive in any way to you. I honestly just want to help you make it awesome. So with that said, I think it needs some more hard practicing. You should make it look natural. Things like the shaking... You were almost trying to convince too hard. Just let people think what they want to think. If they challenge you, prove them wrong. You have a solid handle so far, it just needs polishing. Hope this helps!

- Casey

Jun 23, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Thanks for the warm feedback, yes I know that the shake isn't something that fits the performance very well, but I need a motivation for the final rizer (the one in which the card slowly rises) and also for the clipshift...if you can give me a better solution I will be very happy to listen to it. And yes, you are right I need some practice with the Tilt, the control and the half pass, also some with the pinky count.

Aug 1, 2009
I agree all the shaking scared me a little. If you performed that for real people they would be afraid you'd hit them and run away. (Probably not but you get my point). Let the magic sink in with very little movement. Big shakes aren't necessary. At the end for the final phase just barely shake the cards, you really don't need to justify to the audience why you are lightly shaking them. Just do it and you'll get a great reaction. Overall, great flow and piecing effects together to create this ACR routine. Put a little more work into the moves than practice on your family that way you can get comfortable. Than go out and perform this for people. They will love it and have a lot of fun with this very well structured routine. (O, and of course have them sign their card at the beginning.) Best of luck to you!

Feb 4, 2008
Thanks for the warm feedback, yes I know that the shake isn't something that fits the performance very well, but I need a motivation for the final rizer (the one in which the card slowly rises) and also for the clipshift...if you can give me a better solution I will be very happy to listen to it. And yes, you are right I need some practice with the Tilt, the control and the half pass, also some with the pinky count.
Two things on that shake. One, I assumed you were doing Aaron Fisher's "The Graduate" for the card rise. The way you worded that I suspected that perhaps this wasn't that move? If it is "The Graduate" then you really need to work on it some more. It shouldn't look like that. Check around for Michael Kras. He does the move beautifully. If it isn't the "Graduate," then you should look that up. It looks about the same right down to the hand positions and the out-jogged angle of the cards.

On the clip shift there is a "Blow Vanish." I don't use the Clip shift as a change very often but I much prefer the Blow Vanish handling when I do.

Those two things should eliminate the need for the deck shaking in the first place.

I think you have a good foundation for what you want to do so it is mostly "tweaking" from here. ...Of course it took me about a year of tweaking before I was happy with mine... Good work so far. Have fun with what lies ahead! ;)

Jun 23, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Two things on that shake. One, I assumed you were doing Aaron Fisher's "The Graduate" for the card rise. The way you worded that I suspected that perhaps this wasn't that move? If it is "The Graduate" then you really need to work on it some more. It shouldn't look like that. Check around for Michael Kras. He does the move beautifully. If it isn't the "Graduate," then you should look that up. It looks about the same right down to the hand positions and the out-jogged angle of the cards.

On the clip shift there is a "Blow Vanish." I don't use the Clip shift as a change very often but I much prefer the Blow Vanish handling when I do.

Those two things should eliminate the need for the deck shaking in the first place.

I think you have a good foundation for what you want to do so it is mostly "tweaking" from here. ...Of course it took me about a year of tweaking before I was happy with mine... Good work so far. Have fun with what lies ahead! ;)

Actually I was using the Elegy Shift, I will check "The Graduate", thanks for the reference

Mar 10, 2011
Overall, mediocre.

Here's what, why, and how you can change it:

1) The shaking of the deck: it really looks like you're stabbing someone with an invisible knife when you shake the deck. Now, this wouldn't be as big of an issue if it didn't clash as much with everything that you were doing. Watch your performance again, what you have are these slow, deliberate movements, and then you go into baby shaking with the cards.

2) Timing and grace: take a look from 0:03 to about 0:08. as a magician, I can tell you exactly what you're doing. As a spectator I'm wondering what the f**k you're doing and why its taking what seems like like an hour. And, then, quite anticlimactically, I am shown a card. If you're very lucky, your audience'll let that slide. Now, fast forward to about 2:18 and watch till about 3:17. By the time you got that card under the top (second position), I had blown out the candles for my 70th. What made it worse was that half the time, it looked like the card hadn't moved at all.

3) Oiling the gears: Here are a few things that I recommend you work on, you seem to know what to do, but execution is where you fall short.
A) Taking singles as opposed to doubles. Ideally, they should look the same.
B) Keep the control, but at a commonplace speed. You don't need to be so slow and deliberate that it's painful or worse, confusing.
C) Keep your breaks "unbroken" in the front. If this is not yet attainable, turn your body while simultaneously performing the sleight, as it is harder to focus in on a moving target.

4) And a pet peeve I have: I'm confident that you love music and want to share it with others via your magic videos; however, we need to be able to hear what youre saying. there are very few effects which accommodate silence, I must inform you that your ACR routine is not one of them. Also, subtitles don't replace you thinking on your feet, nor do they appear in real life. If your camera does not record sound, disregard this paragraph.

All in all, you were mediocre. I'm not trying to be a douche, just firm in my advice. from experience, I can tell you that going anywhere thinking that a 6 second "ready, set, go" DL works, simply wont fly. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, I would be happy to help.

Jun 23, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Overall, mediocre.

Here's what, why, and how you can change it:

1) The shaking of the deck: it really looks like you're stabbing someone with an invisible knife when you shake the deck. Now, this wouldn't be as big of an issue if it didn't clash as much with everything that you were doing. Watch your performance again, what you have are these slow, deliberate movements, and then you go into baby shaking with the cards.

2) Timing and grace: take a look from 0:03 to about 0:08. as a magician, I can tell you exactly what you're doing. As a spectator I'm wondering what the f**k you're doing and why its taking what seems like like an hour. And, then, quite anticlimactically, I am shown a card. If you're very lucky, your audience'll let that slide. Now, fast forward to about 2:18 and watch till about 3:17. By the time you got that card under the top (second position), I had blown out the candles for my 70th. What made it worse was that half the time, it looked like the card hadn't moved at all.

3) Oiling the gears: Here are a few things that I recommend you work on, you seem to know what to do, but execution is where you fall short.
A) Taking singles as opposed to doubles. Ideally, they should look the same.
B) Keep the control, but at a commonplace speed. You don't need to be so slow and deliberate that it's painful or worse, confusing.
C) Keep your breaks "unbroken" in the front. If this is not yet attainable, turn your body while simultaneously performing the sleight, as it is harder to focus in on a moving target.

4) And a pet peeve I have: I'm confident that you love music and want to share it with others via your magic videos; however, we need to be able to hear what youre saying. there are very few effects which accommodate silence, I must inform you that your ACR routine is not one of them. Also, subtitles don't replace you thinking on your feet, nor do they appear in real life. If your camera does not record sound, disregard this paragraph.

All in all, you were mediocre. I'm not trying to be a douche, just firm in my advice. from experience, I can tell you that going anywhere thinking that a 6 second "ready, set, go" DL works, simply wont fly. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, I would be happy to help.

1. As I said Above, the shaking is just a motivation for some phases
2. My motions are unusual and don't look natural mainly due to the angle of the camera but, yes, you are right I need to practice some moves, like the first double. The Tilt looks quite unnatural because it's intended to give the illusion that you are pushing the card into the middle and it shouldn't be that quick and smooth. Also you should consider than in real life I would patter and take attention away from the deck.
a) I have worked a lot on singles and doubles, I failed at timing because the pinky counts aren't my biggest strength
b) My intention is to make things as fair as possible for the spectator, maybe I should speed up a bit

4. Yes I inserted the music and the subtitles because I don't have a good pronounciation (English is not my first language, that is Spanish) and I wanted to be as clear as possible

Mar 10, 2011
Don't worry, I'm actually training a guy who's first language is Spanish. its moving, but its easier for him to practice a script. Perhaps that would work for you, just a tip.

As for pinky counts, there's over 3 ways to set up and pick up a double. If you have the resources, take a look at some downloads here, or maybe a good book.

As far as being fair goes, do every move at about the same speed that you would pick up and open a deck of cards. Also, get involved with your spectators and keep that up. For example, ask questions and at the very least, narrate.

keep practicing, and be patient. If I offended you, please don't hesitate address it with me, we all need to improve something, right?

Aug 5, 2011
my acr is comming along nicely but i always finnins with paperclip by em i cant remember but it makes people go mad

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results