Urgent Presentation Help - Please!

Sep 1, 2007
Littleton
Hey! Straight to the point! I need some good eye catching stuff. Some of the popular kids in the neighborhood have been hanging out around the place that I practice "Stuff". I want some good patter that will increase reactions! Please! Help!

P.S. I also need something that will impress a certain girl that I like.

Thanks in advance
~MK

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I am not going to give away my patter to some guy I don't even know trying to impress a girl and some guys around his neighborhood. A key part of magic is being original and entertaining your own way, not copying somebody else; you WILL NOT get the same reactions. Come on man, if you want to get reactions, you have to earn them.

Oct 28, 2007
dude it sadly sounds like you just want to do this for the popularity not the magic and just like adjones said you have to earn them and be original and as for the girl you don't have to impress her with tricks and such just be your self and if she doesn't like you well SUCKS FOR YOU!!! just kidding :)

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I've found that when 'flirting with magic' it's good to make use of the 'leave them wanting more' rule.

Always leave at a point that your spectator's have seen an awesome trick or 2 leaving them curious to see more and they will look you up or come see you later for more.

Do an awesome trick, something quick and visual - not too involved and then leave them with a very 'james bond' smile and look them in the eyes as you go to walk away.

Just do something that your comfortable that you can perform really well, or something that just works.

I like to do stigmata if it's bright as it's powerful, mind boggling and breaks the 'touch barrier' as you get them to hold your arm - great ice breaker.

If it's in a darker situation, I'll do my coin bend (will be out soon. search my name and the word 'Altered' in you tube.) as again it breaks the touch barrier and leaves them with something to remember you by.

You should try leaving your number, unless it's someone you see around the place alot - then I feel it's more impactful not too - next time they see you, or if they've seen you in a certain place alot, they'll find you.

I should write a book on this stuff! It's already been done however, any one that's picked up 'Flirting with magic' reviews please!:p

Hope that's helped!

D.

Mar 26, 2008
I am not going to give away my patter to some guy I don't even know trying to impress a girl and some guys around his neighborhood. A key part of magic is being original and entertaining your own way, not copying somebody else; you WILL NOT get the same reactions. Come on man, if you want to get reactions, you have to earn them.

I could not agree with you more adjones..:)

Sep 1, 2007
Littleton
dude it sadly sounds like you just want to do this for the popularity not the magic and just like adjones said you have to earn them and be original and as for the girl you don't have to impress her with tricks and such just be your self and if she doesn't like you well SUCKS FOR YOU!!! just kidding :)

Thanks for that. i just need some stuff to BRANCH OFF of. then i can make bigger reactions from inspiration. i also thought of doing a version of stigmata with the last four digits of her phone number. I could say im like the CIA, tracing calls! thanks to Dee for the icebreaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 13, 2007
yeah...you have to be original... but heres a tip i guess, whatever tricks you do, you should involve your spectators, this ensures that they don't get bored or something

Dec 5, 2007
Well, Do you want to get reactions and impress people? Here is how to do it:

Stop doing magic to impress people, people can see that and they get the, Hey im better then you feeling from you. Magic is not about boosting your ego and being cool. You are a performer, an entertainer that entertains people to make them feel good.

You cant think like your thinking that you need some cool tricks, you have to think, How can i make the best show possible if not, even the best trick WILL fall flat and not be impressive.

As for presentation thats something you HAVE to come up with yourself, Its okey to do other peoples tricks, but come on, come up with your own presentation. Doing other peoples presentation will only be cheasy and unpersonal.

Its like trying to dress up like a flashy rockstar and think you will be cool, but you wont, becaus thats them and their personality and not you so it wont fit you. Try to dress upp like Keith richards and you will look like a homeless man, but when he does it he looks like the coolest man on the planet.

As for geting girls with magic. There is no WAY on earth that that would be possible, not even David copperfield or criss angel could do that with magic. Girls care about personality and other things. If a guy asked me to go out for dinner and took me on a romantic dinner i would be more impressed then if he levitated across the building.

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
If you're having problems with presentations, I recommend that you read some "theory" of magic. For example, works of Ascanio, Darwin Ortiz, and Juan Tamariz. Card College does have a very helpful theory part as well.
There is no easy way to became a good magician. You can learn techniques, even a full routine from someone else, but presentation is something that you cannot effectively copy.
Important thing as a magician is to consider why you want to do magic. If your answer is "To impress others" magic isn't probably your thing.

Dec 5, 2007
In my opinion the biggest problem with young magicians is that they are modeling their performance/character and presentation after magicians on tv.

Criss angel/David blaine etc walks up to someone and performes something extreamly vissual most of the times. Why? Becaus they are performing for us at home and its quit hard to do an emotional performance for us at home and thats the reason why they are showing 1 trick and then moves on to something else in the show.

A magician in real life however is an entertainer that entertains people, very much like a comedian musician or an actor. So when your performing and creating magic for real life performances a simple card to box routine can be much more entertaining then something more that is "extreamly vissual"

I see alot of people getting in to magic becaus they want to impress girls and be cool and the king of the party. But if thats your goal you will have to spend an enormous amount of money on buying new things to show them, what will you do when you run out of magic?

And as a women i can say that magic does not get girls, its cheasy to try to get girls with magic, A romantic, smart and charming guy would win over someone that trys to get a girl with magic then someone with your own personality even if the magic guy did have David copperfields stage show rigged in his backyard.

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
Criss angel/David blaine etc walks up to someone and performes something extreamly vissual most of the times. Why? Becaus they are performing for us at home and its quit hard to do an emotional performance for us at home and thats the reason why they are showing 1 trick and then moves on to something else in the show.

A magician in real life however is an entertainer that entertains people, very much like a comedian musician or an actor. So when your performing and creating magic for real life performances a simple card to box routine can be much more entertaining then something more that is "extreamly vissual"
Brilliantly said.

I see alot of people getting in to magic becaus they want to impress girls and be cool and the king of the party
How true.
Main reason for this seems to be advertising of sites like Ellusionist and Theory11. Magic has became commercial.

D

Deleted member 2755

Whoa... I don't care what anyone says... magic gets girls...just kidding... but not really

Then when you run out of magic to show them and they see the kind of person you really are then you get dumped and pissed off....

ANYWAY back on topic. ;) Just think of some good presentation yourself. I know thats what I do. You don't always need people telling you what to do. Get a little creativity going yourself. :)

-Doug

Then when you run out of magic to show them and they see the kind of person you really are then you get dumped and pissed off....
-Doug

That is definitely the hard truth.

I have a girlfriend that is my age, **** good looking, and I haven't shown her a single trick.

You don't need magic to get a girl. (atleast not the type of magic on Theory11...)

As long as you have a good personality, you should be fine.

Sep 24, 2007
I agree. You should create your own presentation!

Imagine this situation... you show somebody a trick, using a borrowed presentation, and then the guy moves to New York. (unlikely)

Coincidentally, this guy meets the person you borrowed the presentation from. NOw you both look lame!

... that's just a hypothetical situation...

I agree. You should create your own presentation!

Imagine this situation... you show somebody a trick, using a borrowed presentation, and then the guy moves to New York. (unlikely)

Coincidentally, this guy meets the person you borrowed the presentation from. NOw you both look lame!

... that's just a hypothetical situation...

If that were to happen, I would LMAO.

Nov 11, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
So here are my two cents; you shouldn't use anything or anyone other than yourself to get a girl, get a job, or, really, get anything. If you get it without being yourself, you're getting something that is most likely "above" you. You'll end up failing or leaning on other people to help you get your work done.

To bring this back on topic, whenever I'm trying to get a girl, I rely solely on my personality first. If she's interested and I feel that she would enjoy magic and that I would enjoy performing for her, then I show her magic. If not, I don't. If she knows some, I might recruit her as a judge of material from a layman's (or laywoman's) perspective.

I've got a friend, relies on magic to get chicks. Very rarely works, and when it does, he usually could've gotten them just by being himself. They end up telling me behind his back, which I don't like, how "lame" or how "pathetic" his attempts were.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I'm going to try and be as helpful as I can.

First, however, I want you to tell me three effects you have practiced for so long that you can do them in your sleep.

Second, tell me what you currently say for each of these three effects. Now, I know not many these days seem to have the entire patter from start to finish of what they say, but you should have some general idea of a script to follow.

Third, what have you done which each of these three effects that made them your own? Surely you aren't using the original wording the effect came with, or the creator says.

Once you post these, I'll try and help further.

-ThrallMind

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results