Victorian Close-Up Pad

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Okay guys, I'm getting the Victorian Close-Up Pad for Christmas. Anyone here who has it please tell me your complete thoughts on the quality, feel, and durability of the pad. I want to know what I'm getting. And I'm very much excited as well.

Ive only seen 1 video and a thread talking about the pad, but never went into ANY detail on it. If there has been a thread on this before, I'm sorry.

[And I got the 3rd to the last one available (lucky me)]

Cheers,
Perceptiv3

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Get it if you want, but IMO it's overpriced, and the design would be distracting to my spectators.

Pattrick Pryzeski's close up mats are the best. He's a nice guy, they're only $20, and you can get your name stitched for free. They're really durable, and CAN be washed. Unlike that Victorian thing.

I just think a spectator would be too distracted by the design, and it would take away from the happenings.

Jul 14, 2008
I agreed with willabbotsm. The design looks great, but it's overpriced. If I were you, I would buy a simple close up pad, perhaps a computer pad. That's just me.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Close up pads are definitely overrated. I use one only in my close up show but 8 times out of 10 I am doing strolling or off the cuff magic at parties and the magic is happening in the spectators hands.

I wouldn't spend more than $25 bucks on one. You can also find small jewelers mats cheaply that are felt or velvet pads which are just as good and only about 5 bucks.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Thanks guys. But I'm still getting it anyways. I want something that's going to last me a long time. And that price is a steal for any CUSTOM Close up Pad. If it's custom made, they usually sell for 95 bucks and higher. But I love the design, and fits in with the type of magic I do. Still, anybody who has the Victorian please leave your comments!

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
i think hes gettin it just because of the hype all close up pads last the same amount of time imo iv had te same one for 3 years and it still looks brand new...and yea way over priced i see one in the magic apple for 50...so yea

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
On the Cafe, Eric Jones says he loves it. He didn't like the brass corners. I just happened to come across that thread over there if that is the same thread you read.
Oh well, if you are getting it anyway, have fun and enjoy.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Ramo D, why would I get it because of hype? No one talks about it or gives it hype. I'm not getting it because professionals say they love it, I'm getting it because it fits my style and it looks great. Also, I want one that will last, not some cheap fabric that will tear away within a few years.

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Also, I want one that will last, not some cheap fabric that will tear away within a few years.

I got one for $30, and it's the nicest one I've ever used. Trust me, I've tried my friend's Victorian one, and there is hardly any difference besides the design.

Mine is made to last, and won't ever rip by itself, and besides, I have an insurance policy on it, so I can get a new one if anything happens to it.

Just saying.

-Sanj

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
No one talks about it or gives it hype.

That's a false statement. I've seen plenty of hype over it. Plenty of people @dananddave have been talking about it too. They even had a contest about it...

I'm getting it because it fits my style within

So, just curious, what is your "style?" Do you wear like a full suit with a velvet coat and everything? It's cool to be old-style, but I am just curious.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Okay guys, I'm getting the Victorian Close-Up Pad for Christmas. Anyone here who has it please tell me your complete thoughts on the quality, feel, and durability of the pad. I want to know what I'm getting. And I'm very much excited as well.

Ive only seen 1 video and a thread talking about the pad, but never went into ANY detail on it. If there has been a thread on this before, I'm sorry.

[And I got the 3rd to the last one available (lucky me)]

Cheers,
Perceptiv3

Great quality. Overall it's pretty heavy, a sturdy thing. Please be aware that there is absolutely no chance you're going to be using this professionally for walkaround magic, none at all. You *might* use it for a sit down private performance, or maybe on stage with a camera. Otherwise, it's basically a practice surface only.

As far as feel goes, it has a velvety feel. One important thing to note, there's something you'll have to get used to - it's made out of that material where, if you stroke it one way, it feels like silk, and if you stroke it the other way, you can feel the individual bristles standing up.

Durability, it's fine as long as you have properly manicured fingers. If you're the next Darwin Ortiz and practice gambling moves 15 hours a day, you might be worried, otherwise, it's fine.

If you have any other questions feel free to let me know, I have one and I love it. Expensive, yes, but... Honestly, I don't mind things that are expensive if they're good quality, which this is, and I'd only spend the money on new magic material anyway, which I don't need. So it's a good investment for me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results