Warning Will Robinson! Exposure!

Why is everyone always whining about "bordering on exposure"? So what? Do you really think every Joe Schmoe is up here reading these forums anyway? No. Why? Because they don't care.

Would I go to the women's fashion forums to find out all their secrets? No. Why? Because I don't care. Give it a rest. Sometimes people just want to be well-informed before blowing $50 on an effect that ain't worth $5. Isn't that what this forum is supposed to be for? Magicians helping other magicians?

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Why is everyone always whining about "bordering on exposure"? So what? Do you really think every Joe Schmoe is up here reading these forums anyway? No. Why? Because they don't care.

Would I go to the women's fashion forums to find out all their secrets? No. Why? Because I don't care. Give it a rest. Sometimes people just want to be well-informed before blowing $50 on an effect that ain't worth $5. Isn't that what this forum is supposed to be for? Magicians helping other magicians?

that's what reviews are for. You don't have to expose an effect to find out if it is worth it or not.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
that's what reviews are for. You don't have to expose an effect to find out if it is worth it or not.

i second that. the secret shouldnt matter, you shouldnt not use something because you dont like the secret...thats not what impresses people, its the effect its used for =) (and yes, thats from the prestige.)

-Nikki

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't is "Danger, Will Robinson"?

Exposure is exposure. If a kid knows he can go to theory11 forums and find out how the trick is done, then he won't pay for it. It isnt about the laymen knowing the secret, I could care less if they know, because all your have to do it change the presentation(which one should do anyways) and boom, totally new trick in their eyes.

But when an creator is not getting their due, then it is just wrong.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Isn't is "Danger, Will Robinson"?

Exposure is exposure. If a kid knows he can go to theory11 forums and find out how the trick is done, then he won't pay for it. It isnt about the laymen knowing the secret, I could care less if they know, because all your have to do it change the presentation(which one should do anyways) and boom, totally new trick in their eyes.

But when an creator is not getting their due, then it is just wrong.

Well put, my friend. Well put indeed.

May 3, 2008
I agree. We know there are some people who will see the preview for a trick like pressure, look up a tutorial on youtube (or just some really bad performance who pretty much gives it away) and then try looking at the reviews and other threads looking for clues as to how the trick is done.

-Charlie

you should not be a magician (Period)

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Also, magic is a secret, and is and should be payed for. and as for the "magicians helping other magicians" yeah magicians help other magicians, if they need help with a move maybe or advice on something....were not just here for eachother to give out secrets to effects we payed for so you dont have to pay.

-Nikki

You know when I was a laymen I used to think that magicians shared there secrets amongst each other, and then do there own performances with the tricks they learned. I was correct in a way.:p . I never knew that there were online communities or actual tricks you can buy online. I mean I knew that you could buy magic tricks from a magic shop but I always thought that the really good tricks were spread amongst magicians(for free that is). A bit of a let down at first but it all turned out well:)

yeah i know, you've gotten chewed out by everyone, in a small way i can understand the blowing of money for a 5 dollar worth trick which sells for 50....

sometimes, your point is correct, but thats just how it goes....u gotta pay to play....

"some" people on here, regardless of what they may say in the open, do give away secrets to other magicians...its the truth, no denying it.....

i do think we need better reviews, i've read reviews from some and it would litterally say " omg, its the sickest effect ever created" ...are you kidding me??? thats the best a magician can say???

there's this guy on this site that has the best reviews i ever read, his label is "V." c',mon you can't miss him, he's the guy you should see....

but we just can't be plain ol' giving out secrets all willy nilly like that....that just don't happen...

As far as "bearing witness to stupidity", that seems to be all I see which was the whole thing I was talking about. It seems everybody just wanted to take offense to what I was saying rather than taking it for what it was worth.

The question was not Why can't we get tricks for free. The question was why is there so much whining about "exposure". If you don't want to give away secrets just don't reply. It's that simple.

The question was not Why can't we get tricks for free. The question was why is there so much whining about "exposure". If you don't want to give away secrets just don't reply. It's that simple.

Because exposure is just plain disrespectful to the artist who created the effect and the company who may have produced it.

Like other people have said, you don't need to expose anything to give your opinion about the effect and whether it is worth it or not. A $50 trick may be crap and something you may never use but, that doesn't justify learning it and THEN deciding that.

Same goes with taking a DVD, you can't take it decide the movie was crap and things are simply fine and nothing bad happened.

-RA69

Appreciate that. Maybe if you had intelligence higher than a seven year old, you would understand something known as humour.

Doesn't take a seven year old to figure out someone so easily upset about exposure and then on his youtube site is claiming to "trade all of his secrets away" doesn't make sense. I believe the word is hypocrite.

You're right. I guess that is pretty humorus.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results