Webcam and Chat Safety

Jul 13, 2009
This may seem like a pointless thread to some but I feel that I should bring this up. I bring this up because chatting,​
especially webcam chatting has increased in popularity. So I am going to touch on some safety tips when chatting and caming.

1st Now this is a Huge one, while in a public chat DO NOT GIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION OUT SUCH AS AGE, LOCATION, ANYTHING THAT A PERSON COULD USE TO FIND YOU.

2nd Use an alias or even better like your wolf here, make a character for yourself.

3rd if you are going to go on a webcam I suggest you don’t in a public setting. Make sure there isn’t anything in the background that would give the slightest hint onto your location geographically.

4th If it is a private chats make sure you know without a doubt who is in the room.

5th Now this one is just a general tip, don’t chat in public rooms.

These are just general tips that I fallow now, not trying to scare anyone here but I have had an incident in the past. Please allow me to tell you the story.

I was a young lad and just got into the chatting scene, I was chatting with school friends in an IRC chat. Yeah I know old​
school, but that is what was available at the time. Anyway I was chatting in public with my friends via private messaging and one of them slipped. Guess what that post was, well you can stop because I am going to tell you. It had my phone number and address. I shrugged it off being the stupid that I was, I went on my marry way. It wasn’t until I started getting letters addressed to me that I didn’t want. Snail mail spam anyone? Later I received calls from unknown people leaving Rated R and even M material. It wasn’t until I had a stalker that I realized my mistake, don’t worry though I have a restraining order on that pedo.

My point of this thread was too point out the dangers of chatting and some tips while chatting. First your information is​
sacred, second on the Internet you can be anyone you want, this can work with you, or against you. Third if you choose to webcam, make certain no items are on you like a school sweatshirt, shirt or other paraphernalia in the view of the camera. Fourth Private is better and fifth don’t chat in public were strangers lurk.

Be safe the wandering wolf of the magic forums,

Ke’oke

[Thread title edited by admin for clarity in description of thread contents.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 10, 2007
Virginia
This was truly a needed thread.

Yes, I totally agree. Make sure to follow Ke’oke's guidelines when chatting either here or anywhere else.

And one more thing... stay in school kids!

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results