Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
The first thing that comes to mind when creating a new effect is “what problem are you trying to solve.” For example let’s say I want to make a card appear on the top of the deck. There are two ways to approach this.

1. Fix an existing method and make it easier or more practical.
2. Create a new method that has not been done before.

99% of the time you will be attempting #1. In this case you need to ask yourself if your new idea really does accomplish your effect in a better way than methods already out there. Otherwise why would you use your method at all?

Just some food for thought! Avoid creating a new idea just because you want to create something. I would create something new to fix an issue or be completely original. That is how your effect will stand out!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Creativity for creativity’s sake rarely works. As @obrienmagic said, necessity is the mother of invention. Ideas cannot be forced, but come out of learning and experience. Most innovation is incremental - taking something that exists and improving it:

How many magicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Nine, one to screw it in and eight to come up with variations on the method.

Reactions: C J

C J

Nov 29, 2017
Nine, one to screw it in and eight to come up with variations on the method.

I heard someone like this except its one to screw it in three to tell him he flashed two to tell people how he did it and three to say I have a variation of that but I did it first.:p

But seriously being creative for creativity sake is probably not going to work @RealityOne hit that one on the nail.

For me the creative process goes like this. First you think of what you want the effect to look like. Then create a method around that. Creating tricks around methods rarely works for me at least.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results