What do believe Misdirection is?

magicdamadude

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I feel that the term "misdirection" can sometimes be misrepresented, or that just the context it is used in can sometimes be misconstrued. I tend to agree with the Great Tommy Wonder's thoughts on misdirection; where it is not a distraction, but rather, the magician is placing focus on another space in the routine, drawing attention away from something else. I believe that misdirection is not something we do, but is what is created when the performer diverts attention away from something in a manner that creates normality in the eyes of the spectator.

I very rarely think that our spectators should feel as if they are being controlled or that the performer is attempting to fool them. In some cases, these perceptions can be used to great advantages, but I think that in many scenarios, this can spell death for the performer. When spectators start to feel this way, some can get agitated with the magician and others can start to attempt to catch out the performer. Jay does a spectacular job of bringing himself off the "high horse" that some laymen believe magicians are on. I believe that the best performers, for lack of a better term, "bring themselves down the the spectator's level". When you are down there with them, experiencing the magic together, it is so much more powerful, and bringing us back to the topic at hand, makes it so much easier for the magician to succeed with misdirection, or as Tommy Wonder would say, "Directing Attention".

What are your thoughts on what our friend "misdirection" is?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I feel that the term "misdirection" can sometimes be misrepresented, or that just the context it is used in can sometimes be misconstrued. I tend to agree with the Great Tommy Wonder's thoughts on misdirection; where it is not a distraction, but rather, the magician is placing focus on another space in the routine, drawing attention away from something else. I believe that misdirection is not something we do, but is what is created when the performer diverts attention away from something in a manner that creates normality in the eyes of the spectator.

I very rarely think that our spectators should feel as if they are being controlled or that the performer is attempting to fool them. In some cases, these perceptions can be used to great advantages, but I think that in many scenarios, this can spell death for the performer. When spectators start to feel this way, some can get agitated with the magician and others can start to attempt to catch out the performer. Jay does a spectacular job of bringing himself off the "high horse" that some laymen believe magicians are on. I believe that the best performers, for lack of a better term, "bring themselves down the the spectator's level". When you are down there with them, experiencing the magic together, it is so much more powerful, and bringing us back to the topic at hand, makes it so much easier for the magician to succeed with misdirection, or as Tommy Wonder would say, "Directing Attention".

What are your thoughts on what our friend "misdirection" is?

If you have great audience management skills, then the spectators will NEVER feel that they are being controlled. If they like YOU as a person, then they will listen to anything you have to say to them. And when you have them look at something, (misdirection), they will look twice without ever questioning.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Mike is correct in that if they like you as a person, they will tend to "go along" with anything you tell them or direct them to do. Too many performers create a barrier between themselves and the spectator(s). It becomes this game of "catch me if you can" or "look over here" as I am about to fool you and make you look silly. Magic shouldn't be about tricking the audience member. It should be about creating a fun, exciting, atmosphere where you and the audience are enjoying each other's company and you are sharing magical moments "with" them.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Mike is correct in that if they like you as a person, they will tend to "go along" with anything you tell them or direct them to do. Too many performers create a barrier between themselves and the spectator(s). It becomes this game of "catch me if you can" or "look over here" as I am about to fool you and make you look silly. Magic shouldn't be about tricking the audience member. It should be about creating a fun, exciting, atmosphere were you and the audience are enjoying each other's company and you are sharing magical moments "with" them.

200% agree. If you have a barrier between you and your audience, you will NEVER get the reactions you could if that barrier was brought down. To often magicians complain that they aren't getting the reactions they think the should be getting when doing a trick. See above for your answer as to why. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results