What do you prefer learning from?

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
I think I saw this thread here at Theory11, but I did search and found nothing. If theres already a thread like this, then just close this thread. (ohh, I just found the Cerca Trova thread, then theres no point at all.)

Anway I also saw a disussion at Ellusionist so why not bring it here? What do you prefer to learn magic from? DVD's, books, magicfriends, Youtube (damn you) or somewhere else.

I like both DVD's and books. I think that more younger magicians should read books, why? Because I think that they need to realize that magic theory is important. But if you are a talented magician you can learn everything from DVD's and still keep the theory in mind. I like Brad Christian's DVD's because I like when he talk about things that's very important.

I also like to watch DVD's because I find it too hard to understand what the effect should look like. When I for example read the book Art of Astonishment and I tried to learn Reset, I couldn't understand what it was supossed to look like, and therefore I couldn't either understand what was described.

And the only good magic books I can find is taught in English, and that's not my ordinary language. But when I understand the books, I think they are really good (if not even better than DVD's) because then you can easier apply your own ideas on the trick.

What I don't like about DVD's is that they are very expensive compared to books. One single trick on a DVD is about 30$, but when you buy a book for 30$ you get alot more tricks. I want more DVD's like Dangerous here at Theory11. You learn from a great artist and you learn more than just on trick, and it's a good price too.

I saw someone here at the forum also pointed out that he wanted some 1-on-1's with someone talking about stuff. Like how to apply your own patter on that trick and stuff like that.

So tell me what you think about this topic, I find this very intresting. I would aslo be very fun if an artist can point out theirs opinion.

:)

Cheers Marcus

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hmm...

Here is how I rank those categories (top 3):

1) A friend/teacher (live person)

2) A DVD

3) A Book

Reasons:

1) I think that learning trick(s) from a person is the best, because you can just mirror them, and they can physically show you what you are doing wrong, and re-word things when you do not understand them, whereas, in a DVD the teacher may say something you do not understand. Plus, the angles are always to your advantage, as well as the speed.

2) This is just my personal preference, now I am not saying books are bad, but in my opinion I am a more visual learner. You are right, DVD's are more expensive, but I still like them better.

3) Books are good as well. Although I like the two above better there is hardly a difference between a book and a DVD, because the DVD is easier to learn from, yet I like how the book words things (yes, I am saying the author of a book words things better than a magician teaching you on a DVD).

What about everyone else? I am interested to here from all!:D

-Sanj

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
MagicSanj, very nice answe there. Me myself I don't like learing from others, because I find that they always rush when explaining. :p

Anway, the Cerca Trova thread is closed, so those who didn't put their toughts there can do it here.

Apr 28, 2008
I love reading books although I do find it quite difficult to learn from them. I find it much easier to learn from a DVD.
However, because I find it harder to learn from a book I find it more fulfilling when I do learn the effect.

I also find that reading a well written book can give you a lot more insight into the way the author thinks in a way a DVD doesn't. This is very noticeable in the Art of Astonishment books.

May 24, 2008
I find that learning from a person is the best way to go, especially since they can give you personal advice on a sleight or trick

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results