What Do You See?

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Tells me I should have bought stock in companies who manufacture web cams.

I am not sure it tells me anything about magic aside from the fact that technology is catching up with an art that has often been performed behind closed doors or for the paying public. Now you can simply load up a web browser and hit a video hosting website to see thousands of performances, both good and bad, relating to magic. The problem I have with this is the abuse factor that comes fully loaded with irresponsible people who do not respect magic and the effort that goes into creating great magic.

It makes me wish there were a set of instructions given out for people who feel the need to put everything on YouTube, that they should take a step back and think about what they are broadcasting before submitting videos. Really take a serious look at what you are submitting as if you were watching someone else in the video instead of yourself. This mainly relates to indirect exposure through incorrectly or poorly performed magic. If the purpose of the video is to get feedback then share it with a few close friends, not the entire world. I hope I don't need to explain the effect of directly and purposefully exposed magic through TV and the internet.

--Jim

Oct 6, 2007
It makes me feel that the Art of Magic has seriosuly taken a plunge regarding the way people treat it. Although some may argue it truly is a 'hobby', most of us here probably feel its more than JUST a hobby. People posting all these vids of crappy performances treat it like a hobby, they dont try their best for anything!

Magic, when performed should be done at its best! Not a random morning video shoot of some trick.

Sep 1, 2007
California
Ha I think it is interesting to see all the the little Youtube magicians performing magic. It is interesting because almost ever kid I see uses a "Black Tiger Deck"
And they "Trade" tricks. This is killing the magic community because when I began magic I saw the Black Tigers on E and at first I thought wow those are really cool cards, but after a while I really didn't wan't them. I learned more and more about magic and I decided to focus on skill not how I look.

But I think it is interesting to see these kids buy things from E and then reavle them on the internet.

But yea

I don't really like watching these kids do magic tricks they just learned 5 minutes ago.

The things that I dislike are that magicians on youtube often don't care about their videos. They'll make a crappy quality video with no edits and it's almost like they're trying to make a dull video. I don't upload magic to youtube, but with all of my videos, I am sure to make them professional looking, edited, and fun to watch.

And what the heck is with this trading stuff!? Magic wasn't invented to trade. Go back to elementary school spanish class where you traded yu-gi-oh cards and toy dinosaurs for fake money.

The whole idea of magicians practically everywhere is a good thing. I like to know that the world is full of them. But you should respect the art, not through it out the window, if you get what I mean.

Is it just me or has the art of magic taken a major dip towards pre-teens and teen magicians? I mean, this isn't bad, but where are all the geezers!?

Nov 22, 2007
I do youtube videos, but I hate doing reveal videos, and I hate the people who do them. And even if the video isn't a reveal video, most of the kids who do them do it so poorly, it's basically revealing the method, anyway.

Sep 3, 2007
I've seen some of the worst wannabes on there revealing magic and it really makes me pissed off. My best advice, don't watch it.

What irritates me the most is seeing people of all ages reveal copyrighted tricks. How many times I see someone posting a tutorial for indecent. But I don't think that it's killing the magic community. Alot of T.V magicians and some revealing have gotten people interested in magic and had most laymen think that there is no witchcraft or things like that anymore.

It makes me feel that the Art of Magic has seriosuly taken a plunge regarding the way people treat it. Although some may argue it truly is a 'hobby', most of us here probably feel its more than JUST a hobby. People posting all these vids of crappy performances treat it like a hobby, they dont try their best for anything!

Magic has not taken a plunge at all, in fact it is better now than ever. Lets not forget how we started magic by watching david blaine, or a movie and we wanted to learn. Everywere in my school people always ask and talk about magic. In my opinion if you think magic is down because it's getting recongnized, then you should stick to the old ways of having it underground so know one will no who you are. As for hobby most, maybe all of us started this as a hobby and still doing it as a hobby. Only the truly dedicated ones stick to being someone not stick to the art, but being known by many people as a great magician, and or flourisher.

P.S One more thing I wanted to say most flourishers, and magicians are already making products, just to give some names Virtuso, fatz( some asian t.v show, watch his profile on youtube), most, maybe all of the theor11 staff and some just weren't dedicated to much,got to old and sticked to school.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results