What happened with the REAL magic?

Oct 31, 2007
I just came back from a show performed by Norberto Jansenson, here in Argentina, and i saw almost 400 people go home with the feeling of wonder...
Jansenson didn t perform something spectacular, or something out of this world... on the contrary he performs the most easy effects i ever saw BUT HOW HE PERFORM those effects made the big diference between him and the other magicians... and with the emotional connection with his audience

I saw also a few FISM winners from here in the past months too, and i have to admit sadly that they didn't reach the goal to connect with the people.
And i say "sadly" cause this people is responsable for making the art just a business. They have the idea of "if someone performs something and it works, i can perform THE SAME WAY TOO... and it would be fine"
So i saw a LOT of magicians performing comedy magic here. COMEDY ...and magic

"... and magic"

Magic on second place...

Today i answer a call from a ex-posible client (you will see why the ex)
She ask me what i do on my show, i tell her that i perform magic and mentalism, and she respond "mmm maybe you can do more humor and less magic ¿?"

This is no surprise for me if we consider that most popular magicians here do that.

Another thing i saw is young people, worried about the last and more dificult flourish to perform and to put on youtube.
And geting MORE and MORE and MORE tricks, but performing horrible all of them (and when i say horrible i dont mean only the tech part, but the presentations)

So im wondering that ...is this the way things are going down... (oh i sound like justin timberlake XD here )

if this is the way magic goes

Where is the poetry, the art, the emotions, the connection, the REAL MAGIC ¿?
The experience that Rene Lavand leaves with me after i saw him

When i just find a forum like this, that seems diferent, people ask 4 a "off topic" section, i dont understand...
I think its a shame that no one seems to take advantage that here we have people like chris kenner, and the entire stuff to learn from, and no one seems to care.

I would love to see videos of people performing what they ve download or buy here, with diferents perspectives, presentations, and trying to add something

Let me know what you think about this

I would love to read some of the t11 team opinions.

Pd: My english is not the best, im sorry about that :p

Aug 31, 2007
A request for an off-topic forum is just a wish to see a better organised forum, and not that we would choose off-topic discussions over Kenner.

Anyway, we can't exactly learn from the T11 team much, as they are not on the forums as often as you think.

Is there such a thing as the "real magic"? I think what you mean is you wish to see "good magic" or "magic that is better than what you are already seeing".

People choose to do more comedy over magic, maybe because they prefer comedy. Whatever the case is, I think it's a personal choice and not up for us to decide what they do. What's important is what you do, and that is something you can choose.

There's always a discussion about how to "connect" with the audience with magic and bring out the "art" of magic. However, I think many of us are trying to use a different artform to bring out the beauty of magic. For example, we use comedy to make magic enjoyable. We use theatre and drama to make magic strong. We use music and dance to make magic exciting.

There's really nothing wrong with this cross-pollination of the arts to help magic connect with your audience, but like you said, sometimes we forget that we are magicians and not a comedian or a dancer.

Sorry, I realised I ranted for too long on something off-topic.

- harapan. magic!

Oct 31, 2007
If you (or someone) don`t believe in the REAL magic, in MY opinion i think that you are on the wrong business and maybe you re not going to be more than an executioner ( dont get me wrong there is nothing bad about that), but for me, there will be no art on that.

If the concept of what is REAL MAGIC, for me, is not clear i invite you to watch some of Rene Lavand , David Williamson, or Juan Tamariz videos.

I put Comedy magic on my example cause that is one the problems that we ve got here... but is just an example .
I love to see a great comedy magic performance, seeing david williamson live was one of the best performances i saw...
But i use this example of comedy magic cause, HERE is making the magician looks like a funny guy doing funny stuff ...like a drunk uncle can fun on a hollyday
Without the feeling of wonder. And 95% of magicians are doing this.

And like you said above i think is great that the magician add to their performances theatre, music, comedy, dance , etc...
Is that what i like and enjoy to see
The trick itself for me is not "art", but the experience that you can create for the audience with it is

Derren Brown, wrote something that i keep on my mind constantly, people before watching you probably dont know any other magician, and after seeing you maybe they will not see magic again, so is our responsability as artists to make this experience memorable.

i really enjot seeing flourish with cards, i watch dan and dave dvds and they astonish me BUT IM NOT a real audience, i enjoy this cause im a magician (and im not sayng that normal people dont enjoy this, im sure they do) , but i think we have to star to think in the audience point of view, what they would realy like and enjoy to see...
That mades the magic REAL

But is just my opinion

Sep 1, 2007
When i just find a forum like this, that seems diferent, people ask 4 a "off topic" section, i dont understand...
I think its a shame that no one seems to take advantage that here we have people like chris kenner, and the entire stuff to learn from, and no one seems to care.

I made the topic asking for the off topic forum, so ill answer this. one of the reasons we want it is because there are a good amount of things that get posted in here, that are really....really...of topic. So the whole point of that is to get the forums in shape.

And I think people do care about Mr. Kenner and the rest of them, thats one of the reasons I'm here, because they are. And if you where here a wile back, there where some posts about what would you like in the 1on1 tricks section. Some people asked for performance tips, and not tricks. ( I was one of them)

So to say NO ONE seems to care is a strong statement. I would say most people don't, but not all. But agree with you on everything else.

Oct 31, 2007
So to say NO ONE seems to care is a strong statement. I would say most people don't, but not all. But agree with you on everything else.

you re right about that, maybe i put it like that cause is the expresion that comes to my mind in english, but i was trying to say most, not no one :)

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
whats wrong with comedy and magic?

ever seen Bill Malone? hes rude to the spectators and makes fun of them. its mad funny and really helps his tricks.

BILL MA-LONE chant is awesome when hes done with a trick, really makes you think hes just lucky doing the tricks :p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results