What is the difference between card?

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Hi there, I don't know if it was ask somewhere on the forum, but searching with the key word card dont make any sense so I'll post my question here, please close this thread if it's found somewhere else and please, before closing this thread, post a link :).

So my question is: what is the major difference between say Tally ho (low quality) card and Sentinel (high quality) card. I know you will tell me "quality" but since I'm new to magic, I don't know what is the "quality" factor. Could you explain a little on why it is important to have "high quality" card and when to use it or it doesn't really matter. Thank you in advance for your answer. By the way, you can say that this type of card is better for cardistry, this type is better for manipulation, this one is better for magic.

Feb 4, 2008
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?30984-Playing-Card-Buyers-Guide

I continually try to answer that myself. My guess is that USPCC currently has 1/2 a dozen stocks available and from there it is a matter on what finish is used, what press is used, and what quality controls are used on the printing room floor. As a general rule I say go get some bike 808, Tally Hos, and Bee club specials. Forget about the way they look and just think about how they handle. Bike is generally the thickest and in the middle on stiffness, Tally-ho is middle on thickness and starts out the stiffest( though they soften pretty quick), Bees are the thinnest and the softest. They are all pretty darn close to be sure. But once you can feel a difference in those then you may start to feel a difference in some of the custom decks. When you get to the "high quality cards" it is mostly just a Bike, Bee, or Tally Ho that has been run through a better press and had more care taken in the processing. When you get into custom cards you have to either be a real dweeb like me, or a freak of nature like Richard Turner, to actually "feel" a difference.

Jul 13, 2008
You may have mean't it as some sort of compliment, but this is the card forum, so a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss.

He definitely meant it as a compliment . . . he's just saying that Richard Turner is unbelievably talented and that no one else has his skills. I hate it when non-mods try to be mods.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results