What is this called?

Dec 25, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
I'm sure there are a lot of threads with similar names, but it was the best way to simplify this thread and get straight to the point.

I've been doing a false cut for a while that I don't think I learned anywhere. However, it's so basic that I'm almost positive it has to have been done before. If anyone knows what the name of it is, could you please let me know?

[Edit] I removed the video; thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I'm sure there are a lot of threads with similar names, but it was the best way to simplify this thread and get straight to the point.

I've been doing a false cut for a while that I don't think I learned anywhere. However, it's so basic that I'm almost positive it has to have been done before. If anyone knows what the name of it is, could you please let me know?

Here's a temporary YouTube video of me doing the false cut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMmLUYq25UI

well, is not a cut persee, you are doing a pass, I think is the herman pass,looks good thoug

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Not sure of the name, however Derren Brown does a similar false cut at the end of his 'Three Card Routine', the only difference being that he does it in mechanics grip as more of a 'pass' type movement.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Not sure of the name, however Derren Brown does a similar false cut at the end of his 'Three Card Routine', the only difference being that he does it in mechanics grip as more of a 'pass' type movement.

well techically I think it is a pass, a pass is where you shift the packs very quickly taking the lower packet to the top, so here the guy is simply swivel cutting and doing a pass that's all.(correct me if im wrong:D)

Dec 25, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
You're right, so I suppose it is a pass. I don't believe it'd be considered a Herman Pass, do to how I'm doing it.

Basically, as you said, it's: a swivel cut > left hand grabs top pack > left hand extends cards by having the index finger flip them > right hand puts cards in the space the index finger and thumb create > left hand flips the top half back ontop of the deck.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
well techically I think it is a pass, a pass is where you shift the packs very quickly taking the lower packet to the top, so here the guy is simply swivel cutting and doing a pass that's all.(correct me if im wrong:D)

You're right, I meant more like the classic pass. Sorry for the confusion.

Dec 25, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
The thing is, you can openly show the pass when doing the swivel cut due to being confused as to which half is which. So instead of trying to hide the pass, the "cut" let's you show it from, I believe, any angle that doesn't show the bottom card. I'd still be surprised if no one has done this, before. =\

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
the move is so obvious .. im sorry if it should be obvious

sry for my bad english^^

I dont think so sir! the first time I watched it I was specting another cut after the swivel one, and when he showed me again the 8 I was like WTF! hahaha it took me another view to see what really happened...

It looks casual and the spectator will not know what to watch for, good work man.:D

Dec 25, 2008
Wisconsin, USA
the move is so obvious .. im sorry if it should be obvious

sry for my bad english^^

Thanks for the feedback. As RDChopper said, the layman won't catch anything; it just looks like a swivel cut, which is usually more than the casual person has physically seen. I perform this cut/pass quite often, and no one has called it out on me (even people who normally call out something if they notice a mistake).

I dont think so sir! the first time I watched it I was specting another cut after the swivel one, and when he showed me again the 8 I was like WTF! hahaha it took me another view to see what really happened...

It looks casual and the spectator will not know what to watch for, good work man.:D

That's great to hear. However, the 8 was really a 6 - the quality of the video must've made it look like an 8. :p

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Thanks for the feedback. As RDChopper said, the layman won't catch anything; it just looks like a swivel cut, which is usually more than the casual person has physically seen. I perform this cut/pass quite often, and no one has called it out on me (even people who normally call out something if they notice a mistake).

That's great to hear. However, the 8 was really a 6 - the quality of the video must've made it look like an 8. :p

WTF!!!

(word count)

Sep 2, 2007
London
It's pretty much the Paul Rosini false cut, and if you perform it casually, as you would a double undercut or something like that, it really flies.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results