What Should I Do?

Nov 27, 2010
hey everyone...i was looking into buying some card trick books. i wanted some opinions on what ones to get. what do you have???and do you like it??
thxs

Jun 10, 2010
hey everyone...i was looking into buying some card trick books. i wanted some opinions on what ones to get. what do you have???and do you like it??
thxs

Royal Road to Card Magic
Scarne on Card Tricks

You should try watching "What To Read" by Jason England. Free download off theory11. It only mentions books from the 20th century, but the classics are always the best place to start.

Those two seem like the books you should start looking into, then start progressing as your card magic gets better.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I would absolutely second that you look into Royal Road to Card Magic.

I guess here is where I say "in before Expert at the Card Table." It's useful to have if you are really interested in sleights. Royal Road will do a better job teaching you what you need to perform magic as opposed to focusing on considerably more difficult sleights.

I'll also go so far as to say to at least consider those cheap books you see at the big mega chain bookstores. Most of the information you'll find will be extremely focused on beginners - maybe too much. Yet, there will be little quirks and nuggets of information that you may not find in other books. If you can find them in the ever-present clearance aisle then at least give them a second look.

A lot of people here are extremely dedicated card workers and could probably offer you no end of help (seriously) if you were to tell us what aspect of cards you are trying to learn. Are you looking to start with the basics? (Always a good place.) Are you interested in using the gambling style sleights? Or would you rather do something more on a performance angle with less difficult effects? There really is a lot of great stuff all around.

Jun 10, 2010
I hate seeing beginners hop straight on to Expert at the Card Table and butcher everything.

As for those wanting to see his skill level -- View his recent forum posts. He's posted quite a few videos, that'll give you an idea.

I have tried twice now to post longer recommendations with explanations, and twice it's b****red up. So I'll just list the books. If you want to know more then feel free to ask.

Get RRTCM first, then once you have worked through that, I recommend:

The Card Magic of Nick Trost - Nick Trost
Close Up Card Magic - Harry Lorayne
Any of Karl Fulves' 'Selfworking' books (there is some great stuff hidden in these, including an Oil and Water that actually fooled me whilst I was doing it!)

Rev

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 1, 2009
California
Stay away from Expert At The Card Table. It's way too early for that.

I recommend Royal Road To Card Magic, like everyone else. Great foundation to start with.
The Card Magic of Le Paul is a beautiful book full of invaluable material. This is my bible when it comes to card magic.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Seriously who cares about spelling on the internet ?.

Anyone who wants to communicate clearly and efficiently, anyone who wants to avoid appearing ignorant or lazy, and anyone who values the power and infinite subtlety of language. Spelling properly on the internet is like wearing a suit to an interview. It's not absolutely compulsory, but if you don't do it, what you have to say better be damn impressive because the first impression is that you've put in no effort.

Apr 30, 2008
Sweden, Vänersborg
Anyone who wants to communicate clearly and efficiently, anyone who wants to avoid appearing ignorant or lazy, and anyone who values the power and infinite subtlety of language. Spelling properly on the internet is like wearing a suit to an interview. It's not absolutely compulsory, but if you don't do it, what you have to say better be damn impressive because the first impression is that you've put in no effort.

No. You are wrong.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results