What the heck is "the magician's turn"?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Hey y'all, I received The Essential Dai Vernon for Christmas and am finding it to be a very difficult read. I feel like even Royal Road and Expert Card Technique, which were written at the same time as many of the selections in this book, are much clearer in description then most of the effects written up in this collection of Vernon's finest material. I'm not sure why this is but it is frustrating.

For example, in the section on Nate Leipszig it goes over a simple way to make dice change their spots while held between the first and second finger. It sounds like an interesting routine but it all relies on the magician executing what the author calls "the magician's turn". Does anyone know where I can learn this move?

Also, I've been giving myself a headache trying to figure out the description of Vernon's Oil and Water in the Inner Card Trilogy. I am baffled how anyone could learn this particular routine from this description. Has anyone had better luck from these specific texts?

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
Could that be something resembling the paddle move? Like a big-move-covers-little-move swiveling type action? I guess you could do that with dice, but it seems tricky. It's sad that a lot of the good stuff gets lost between the words of poor descriptions in old magic books.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Could that be something resembling the paddle move? Like a big-move-covers-little-move swiveling type action? I guess you could do that with dice, but it seems tricky. It's sad that a lot of the good stuff gets lost between the words of poor descriptions in old magic books.

I'm sure it is some type of paddle move. The description and illustrations both say that it is performed with the die held in between the first and second fingers though which seems to give less to the possibility of manipulation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results