What the hell happened to Sybil?

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
hey man try just putting all the packets or the packet that u always drop into a rubberband and practice then remove the rubberband and it'll be much easier.. hope this helps

Sep 1, 2007
I find that the furter to the right I have my right thumb, the easier it is to rotate packets around it.

I'm having problems with this cut, mostly because of the bad habit part. When I rotate the packet to th top and when I use my index finger tobring the other packet to the bottom, the cards always fall. I wanna know if you guys had problems with this and if you have any tips. I think it's the first flourish in Lemon Demon.

Indeed it was, thanks for the mention of my video. :)

I felt to accurately give you a good idea how this move is performed, I needed to give you an in-depth idea behind the theory of how this move works. Of course, that means knowing both the angles of the hands; the way they move, and the initial pivot-points of each finger. This also includes going over the way packets are held. As you can see below, there is a huge description but nothing has been left to my knowledge. The following is the very technique I use to accomplish the move, I've had no troubles with it and I'm sure you'll have fun once you understand the ideas behind Bad Habit. Let's Begin!

-------------------

Pivot Me, Please

I think it's crucial to point out where exactly the pivot-points are. Presuming you are right-handed and hold the deck naturally in the left hand, here's a quick idea of where the pivots take place:

The first pivot-point being on the right middle finger. At some time during the move the top packet, held by the right thumb and index finger, will be slightly switched in grip; as so the packet is then held by the thumb and middle finger. -- Whilst this is not necessary to switch grips before the action take splace, it can readily reduce practice time; for that finger is slightly longer.

Whatever finger is used here, being middle or the index, the pivot will take place on the fingertip. As the packet reolves to the bottom, this will change as it revolves the pivot to the front of your finger, onto your nail.

The second pivot-point being on the left index finger. This is the finger controlling the initial Bad Habit. The pivot will take place to the left of your nail - that is, if your looking at the back of your hand, it is just to the left-side of your nail. Much like the right hand, this pivot will also change; as it will pivot from the left side of the fingernail, to the fingertip. Basically, the opposite of the right hand.

-------------------

Gonna Angle You

Now that is clear and we all know where the pivots will take place, it's time to establish the angles of each hand, as this is a major role in succession with this move:

When in position to begin the Bad Habit move, you will want to tilt your right hand 45° or so toward the floor. Therebeing, the packet is no longer parallel to the floor, but rather lightly pointing down with the middle fingers - like the nose of an airplane getting ready to land.

At the same time, the left hand does the opposite action. It will too begin turning, but this time almost palm downwards. Therefore, the face of the bottom card of the left hand packet will be in clear view to yourself.

-------------------

Man, You Got A Bad Habit Right There

With all of the above components taking place (that being the right hand finger-switch, the right hand turning 45°, and the left hand rotating palm downwards) you should have an easier time practicing the Bad Habit move.

However, he's one final tip that will help you understand the placing of the card underneath the left hand packet. It is rather difficult to explain in words (as are most visual things) but try it out and you will understand.

As the packet is pivoted beneath, the grips on the left hand packet will be like so:

· The Pinky is positioned at the short-end of the packet closest to you. This stops the packet from falling during the motions and rotations of the left wrist.

· The Ring finger is one of the main supporters of the packet. This finger will do most of the job in securing the safety of the packet, for it will add most pressure. This is positioned comfortably near the bottom right corner.

· The Base of the thumb will support the opposite end of the Ring finger.

· Both the Index and Middle Fingers will be stretched out the entire time that the pivoting takes place. They will help the packet into position and guide it into the correct spot.

Now that we have that over with, it's just a matter of practice. As the packet is placed to the bottom, you may find that it hits the Ring finger. This is fine, and you can easily correct is by making one minor adjustment:

When you feel it will trap, simply extend this finger like the other two. The packet originally in the left hand will not fall, if you have any worries about that; since the Pinky is supporting it the entire time (as with most flourishes).

-------------------

Well, that's pretty much the finer points of this move. Forgive me if it seems at all complicated, but this move is very complex and is difficult to describe in words. In short, just make sure you have the correct grips, the correct pivots, and of course the correct attitude towards the move. :)

Have fun,
Jordan

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
BAZING! It's the tip of the left ring finger! Finally! That last part made all the difference!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results