What to do with your other tricks when you're learning a hard one...

Feb 18, 2010
Hi guys! What do you do with your other tricks/ flourishes when you're learning a new one that may take months to master. I heard that you should concentrate on a trick until you master it, but if I just keep on practicing that one trick my other tricks will get rusty. I'm trying to learn one trick from the Trilogy, and I've been practicing it day and night, and I'm already neglecting my other simple tricks like ACR, and biddle. The problem is I use these tricks regulary, while the D&D one I won't be performing anytime soon.

Thanks

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
you need to make a disctinction between routines that are perfromable vs stuff you're learning or 'not performable'. Or maybe even more precisely: Stuff you're learning vs. stuff you're practicing.

New Stuff: GOAT Change; Tivo 2.0; Clip Shift; the Pass; -- I'm learning.

Stuff I've got down: ACR; Biddle; Here then There; the Pass; Pandora; Cherry Control; Miller Cascade Control; M4 -- I practice moves and the moves in context of routines.

When I create New Routines / Patter to stuff I've been practicing, must go back to step 1 learning

Learning and Practicing are two types of time investments, and you must do both...

The Balance, my freind, between the two will be dictated by motivation, your vision and goals in learning the move, the urgency of getting the routine ready for an upcoming gig, and that nasty way Life has of imposing itself on your Magic Learning/Practice time. Use Condoms. :)

My two kanucks.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yeah. Don't stop practicing and performing the tricks you've already got down. Keep on refining them. The masters often refine their shows over a period of years depending on the effect. Don't do one without the other.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I think that Darwin Ortiz says in one of his books that you should spend most days working on what you have already masterd and then spend 1 day a week on new stuff your learning until its ready for your show.

Apr 6, 2010
Ive found that focusing on something a great deal over a few days, and then rarely practicing it for a week or so helps. It sounds strange, but after a few days of intense practice moving onto something different for a while helps clear your brain of all the little problems you were having trouble overcoming, and when you come back to it your head is clear.

Jun 30, 2010
Hi guys! What do you do with your other tricks/ flourishes when you're learning a new one that may take months to master. I heard that you should concentrate on a trick until you master it, but if I just keep on practicing that one trick my other tricks will get rusty. I'm trying to learn one trick from the Trilogy, and I've been practicing it day and night, and I'm already neglecting my other simple tricks like ACR, and biddle. The problem is I use these tricks regulary, while the D&D one I won't be performing anytime soon.

Thanks

good question...

this has been a problem for me too..... my ACR and old tricks did get rusty, cuz i got into some new tricks... specially when i initially got into mentalism and NLP.. cuz that was ALL i was interested in for like the first 2-3 months of interest...

and my friends would be like.. " did u quit doing your crazy card tricks"..... " are you a dead magician"... " did you retire" ... lol.. that sucked.. but i guess it was a phase...

then i learnt to balance them both, as the interest level equals...

anything that u start on gets you so excited that you sort of forget your old stuff.. but for me that was just a phase.... and then my good ol' card tricks got bak to me and iv been a better man/magician since then....

:)

Jun 30, 2010
Ive found that focusing on something a great deal over a few days, and then rarely practicing it for a week or so helps. It sounds strange, but after a few days of intense practice moving onto something different for a while helps clear your brain of all the little problems you were having trouble overcoming, and when you come back to it your head is clear.

not strange....

my classic pass was BAD...:mad:...

i practised SOOO much...

and it was still quiet bad....

i came back later... and got the hang of it in a few days... and it started getting better........

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results